6. jasper - twenty questions, we tell the truth

After dropping off Erika, I drive through the nearest Mcdonald's one more time to buy more food for two people before heading to Xavierville to visit Gab, my childhood best friend. Last I saw him was in December for his despedida bash at Walrus before he headed to Australia for a scholarship opportunity. Now that I think about it, that was the same night I met Erika, too. I thought he was never coming back because the program he planned on being in was solid, but apparently last month he returned for good because his grandfather died and the family is settling the last will. He may just become one of the heirs of their family business of restaurant chains, and I bet nothing is as good as owning a company that big.

We don't talk as much lately, but since our mothers were co-workers then before my parents moved us back to Batangas, we sort of still hangout like it's second nature. Our friendship is rooted from childhood, so we just play games or talk about movies but barely know personal stuff about each other, which is weird at this age. I haven't been in his house for almost 4 years since whenever we meet up it's always with the high school barkada when we would set up basketball scrimmages with other teams or drink out in bars. Sometimes I would invite everyone over to my condo, but other than that the group chat is mainly silent.

"Bro! Long time!" Gab greets, his dog Spock right behind him wagging his tail at my arrival. I give Gab a one-arm hug and he motions for me to come in, helping me carry the paper bags of food with me. "Where's everyone?" I ask, noticing how empty the house feels.

"Dad's on a business trip, mom is with my Titas for a meeting. I think Claire is in her room. We could go to my room for the game since I don't want to have to move when mom gets home. Thanks for the food, by the way! How have you been, bro?"

I follow him upstairs, "Uh, I've been alright. I'm graduating soon, midyear, I think."

"Nice, it's about time," he jokes, opening the door to his room. He fixes up a few things before inviting me in, I look down to see his dog staring at us from downstairs. I surreptitiously toss him a chicken nugget before following Gab inside.

"How about you, bro? What happened to the Australia thing?"

He hands me a controller, sipping from the large soda I got for him, "It was alright. I liked living there and learning about business shit. Everyone has to be home now for the family though, so I don't think I'm leaving again pretty soon."

"That's tough, I'm really sorry for your loss," I console.

He laughs to diffuse the sad turn our conversation is about to take, showing me the game CD, "I got this there before I came home here. Good shit!"

"You got the Legend Edition, this shit is gonna be amazing to play," I nod.

His bedroom has a mini living room area so I'm relieved to be sitting on the couch instead of the floor like I do at home sometimes. We start playing, pausing a few times to eat our food so we don't grease up the controllers, or to go for a bathroom break. When my Coke ran out he opened one of his drawers to pull out a bottle of Jim Beam, pouring generously in our cups with slightly-melted ice cubes. I'm enjoying myself so much that I don't check my phone at all, and we sneak in a few stories along the constant in-game trash talk. I almost lose my focus when he asks, "So, did you and Corrine get back together after I left?"

"Nah," I glue my eyes to the screen, "I'm still trying, though."

"Damn, really? I thought you two were solid! You always got back together so I wasn't too worried when you guys broke up again."

"Yeah, well," I click my tongue, "how about you? I don't think I've met any one of your girlfriends from college. You never even post them on social media, the only reason you're updated with my life is because you knew me and Corinne from high school, that's pretty sad, man."