Consequences

Warning: A conversation about suicide at a young age and different types of death. You have been warned and I apologise if it upsets any of you. I can write a quick summary here if anyone wants me to.

Virgil woke up as he felt the camper-van slowing. He'd crashed out quickly after they had started moving, flinching in his sleep constantly. Roman couldn't deny, it had gotten on his nerves to be trying to distract himself by looking out the window to have his attention drawn to Virgil again because the skinny god had lashed out. Honestly couldn't he just sleep still?

The darkly dressed god shuffled into himself as he picked himself up. "Why are we stopping?" He mumbled to Roman, drowsily rubbing one eye with the back of his hand. Roman shrugged, noticing Virgil had nudged an eyelash from place and, to be honest, it was really distracting how it just stuck to his pale cheek. Virgil tilted his head and the eyelash remained firmly plastered on the gods' face. "I-Is something the matter?" Virgil asked hesitantly.

Roman leaned forwards across the two seats in the middle and reached for Virgil's' cheek. The other god went bright red and struggled backwards. "Wh-What are you doing?"

"Shush, you got an eyelash on your cheek, I'm trying to get rid of it!" Roman explained. Virgil stopped moving away, letting Roman gently pluck the eyelash from his blushing face. The attractive god caught sight of Virgil's' embarrassment and began to giggle. "You've never been very close to people, have you?"

Virgil went pinker, proving it wasn't impossible, and diverted his gaze to the seat that Roman kneeled on. "I-Is it that obvious?"

"A little." Roman laughed airily. "But I guess you do hide away in your kingdom of isolation and dead guys." He dropped the eyelash on the ground, standing up and moving to the front of the camper-van, leaving Virgil to get his bearings.

Patton noticed him with a wave and Logan nodded. "Oh, hey, Roman!" Talyn said, sitting in the passenger seat. "We're just stuck in traffic, sorry. We're planning to turn off to the coast and head north till we hit Georgia. Then we can figure out what the hell to do next!" They gave the god a thumbs up and Roman grinned back.

"I'm really excited to see more of Earth! Our parents mostly just stayed in Greece!" Patton cheered, clapping his hands brightly.

A sound of a trap door popped open and everyone turned around to see Virgil standing on someone invisble. They threw him up and he swung into his bed, slamming the trap door closed.

Logan glared at Roman. "What did you do?"

"I did nothing!" Roman protested. "We actually had an okay conversation and then I left to see why we stopped - I didn't do anything wrong." Roman looked at Patton for an answer.

Patton shrugged. "I don't know, did it look like he said anything to me. Maybe he just felt a little upset or he needed to be alone! Maybe he needed to sleep!"

"-They see me now? Dee, can they see me yet?" Everyone jumped away as a man with a bloody forehead appeared in a ridiculous suit. "Deceit, you stupid witch, can you just answer the question now?"

"Yes, they should be able to see and hear us both now, so mind what you say!" Lectured another man, with half his face burnt off and a silly, pointed hat.

Thomas paled from where he sat next to Patton. "A-Are you ghosts?"

"More importantly," Joan cried, blowing the horn by accident as they slammed their palm into the steering wheel, "How can we see you?!"

The one in the weird hat smiled and bowed. "My name is Deceit, a witch. You are curious about our best friend, so we are here to explain!"

Patton blinked, recovering from his shock quickly. "Y-You helped Virgil to calm down after his fight with Roman." He pointed at the man with a bloody forehead. "You offered to kill him!"

"He what?" Gasped Roman.

"Remus, at your service! A no one in life and this witch's' boyfriend in death. Damn, I've never been luckier!" He cooed, leaning into Deceit who shoved him away, his face flustered.

"We're here to explain our friends'... behaviour just now. A new soul had found him and her passing..." Deceit paused and even Remus looked solemn. "W-Was not natural..."

Logan frowned. "What do you mean?"

Remus cleared his throat. "It was a suicide. The girl had overdosed and, well, no one wants a ten-year-old rushing to you, crying, because they'd just thrown away everything..."

Talyn held a hand to their mouth, looking stunned. "How often does he go through this?"

"Luckily, not a lot. But he has at least five people find him within a minute and, y'know, sometimes he has to break." Shrugged Deceit, eyes downcast. Then he and Remus moved their heads in unison to face the trapdoor. "He needs us now. Goodb-" And the two vanished instantly.

Joan chocked on a tearless sob, staring where the spirits had been.

"I never thought of it like that..." Thomas whispered. "I never thought of the consequences of being connected to dead people like that..."

Logan shook his head softly, gaining back his rational look at things. "I mean, it makes sense. He knows how everyone dies just by looking at them."

Talyn blinked slowly. "He knows how we die? That's a terrible thought... How can he look us in the eye while knowing our final moments?"

"He takes a lot more than you see..." Mumbled Patton staring at his palms. "This is why I never should've left him..."

"That's why he kept flinching!" Roman furrowed his brow together thoughtfully. "He must've had souls flocking to him while he slept and he could feel them or something! That's awful, how can he live with it?"

Thomas frowned, trying not to cry at the deep conversation. "He must have so many people from awful deaths come to him! Suicide, stillbirth, and what other humans d to each other! H-How painful that must be!"

A car horn disturbed them from their troubles and Joan quickly turned his attention to the road. The camper-van jolted and Roman stumbled. He walked carefully back to his seat and risked a glance to where Virgil had sat. And to think that he got so selfishly annoyed by the gods' flinching.