That One Chapter Where Joan Tastes The Blood Of The Son Of Hades

Tw: Discussion about blood. It's nothing too graphic, but Joan cuts Virgil and they all look at his blood. I swear, it's not as weird as it sounds!

"I still don't understand. Why divide your country?" Frowned Logan

Thomas shrugged. "I don't know. They probably told me once in school but I've forgotten by now."

Roman tilted his head. "What's school like for you?"

Joan spun around in the passenger seat. "You don't have school in Olympus?"

"No, we don't. Is that bad?" Asked Patton, adjusting his glasses that had been a bit lopskewed by the way he held his head in his hands. "We've got, like, some education but most of it was genetic."

"None of this explains dividing a country!" Logan said loudly, although he was ignored.

"You're so lucky you don't have school," Sighed Talyn. "It's boring!"

Virgil mumbled quietly, "My friend, who was a head master would like to disagree..." His eyes were blank and he was curled up next to Patton on the bench. "He says that, in his era, kids were lucky to even get to go to school..."

"Where was he from, kiddo?" Asked Patton brightly.

"Victorion era, England."

Thomas lifted one hand of the steering wheel as he shrugged. "Well, this isn't even England and the Victorion period was, like, over a century ago."

Virgil shrugged, bowing his head. "Just what he said..." He muttered. The god sighed, turning away from Patton. "Whatever..."

"Virgil?" Roman asked, placing his hand on Virgils'. The pale gods' eyes returned in shock as he looked up at the other. Roman smiled sympathetically. "You good?"

"...J-Just a few people have passed recently..." He whispered back, mildly stunned.

Romans' head tilted softly. "As long as you can handle it, okay? You can always join in the conversation if you need a distraction." Since Virgil had slept on Roman back at the pitstop, the two seemed to have an understanding. Roman had tried a lot harder to be nicer to the pale god, although they still got into mild arguements and Virgil tried to stop all the women from staring at his friend, just like he had when the police pulled them over. Patton was not going to lie, it almost made him a little jealous how Roman could be so mean to Virgil and then suddenly have his cousin back to his state of permanant lovesickness.

"Will someone just explain why your country is divided into states instead of a singular country?" Logan cried, exasperated.

"Ask your Book!" Talyn replied.

"No, I left it on the bedside table and it is dangerous to walk around in a moving land-vehicle."

Everyone but Thomas turned to face Logan, as Thomas was trying to drive.

Joan blinked at him. "Dude..." They said. "You're a god."

Logan rolled his eyes. "And you are mortal. My movement may distract Thomas from steering and we could crash, putting the four of us in a very awkward state of why we are still alive and unharmed or why our blood is differently coloured from that of a normal human. Not to mention, Virgils' blood is black-"

"No, it isn't!" Frowned Virgil. "My blood is honey coloured, just like yours!"

Now Thomas even glanced at him in the rear view mirror.

Roman swallowed. "Virgil, your blood is definitely black. I should know, I shoved your head through a window."

Patton blinked slowly. "I thought your blood was pink..." He mumbled.

Virgil shook his head. "No, my blood is honey coloured, I swear!"

Joan sighed, unclipping their seatbelt and moving to the camper-vans' kitchen, beckoning for Virgil. The god went to them and Joan hesitated. "Is it okay if I...?" They gestured to a knife and Virgil nodded.  Virgil stuck out his arm and Joan breathed out shakily before running the blade softly but deeply across Virgils' skin, catching a few droplets of blood in his palm. The god healed quickly.

"See," Virgil said. "Honey coloured."

"I see black," Frowned Logan, dipping his finger in the blood.

Patton pouted. "It's definitely pink!"

"I-I see pink too," Roman commented. He looked up, making eye contact with Virgil. "Your blood changes colour?"

Virgil shook his head. "That's definitely honey coloured. What are you guys talking about?"

"Thomas, pull over at the nearest stop," Talyn sighed. "We need to sort this out."

Joan dipped their finger in it, tasting it. "Woah, I feel weird now-"

"DID HE JUST TASTE  VIRGIL'S' BLOOD?!" Screamed Thomas.

Virgils' eyes widened. "W-Wait, you shouldn't have done that, my blood isn't like the others-" Joan stumbled about slighty, dropping the knife in the sink and blacked out on the ground.

Logan pulled back. "What the-"

"Oh, Cereberus, you shouldn't have done that!" Hissed Virgil, tugging the mortals' arm and pulling him onto his shoulder. "Roman, can you help? They're too big for me to carry." True to his word, Joan was sliding off Virgil, not because the god wasn't strong enough but because he was simply too small and skinny.

Roman obeidently jumped up to help, looking stunned as he carried Joan back to the double beds.

Talyn blinked. "I'm not sure whether to call Joan an idiot, say they deserved it or yell what the fuck at the top of my lungs..."