Descent Into Darkness

Caleb felt the pounding before he heard it. The vibrations traveled through the door, through his backpack, and buzzed his spine. When the sound reached his ears, it made his eardrums pulse and throb. He lifted his head and stared into the room. His sister pushed herself into a sitting position on the bed and stared at the door behind him, eyes wide. Her hair stuck out on the sides of her head, and her face was blotched red from crying. Her limbs were tense, ready to run at the first sign of trouble. It was obvious she was afraid—and she had every reason to be.

Wearily, Caleb pushed himself off the floor and stepped to her. He and Nina had been in a situation like this more times than they should have been. He was tired of the routine, frustrated it had become an everyday part of life. The pounding was loud and unrelenting, but it wasn't coming from inside. The undead hadn't breached the house yet. They pounded on the walls in hopes of getting to the living. Caleb knew it wouldn't be long. One lucky creature would stumble its way through a window, and the rest would follow. Another would aimlessly wander up the stairs, bringing the horde with it. As long as Caleb and his sister stayed quiet, the zombies would soon forget about them and wander off.

He placed his hands on his sister's arms and waited until her eyes focused on him. Caleb needed her to quit worrying about the undead. If she focused on him, she would realize they were safe. It took several moments, and she trembled beneath his touch. When her gaze finally met his, the tension didn't ease. A pleading entered her eyes. She pressed her lips into a line exhaling sharply through her nose—aggravation and uncertainty present. Nina was as weary as he was. Caleb wanted to fix the situation for her, but there was nothing he could do. He nodded once and squeezed her arms gently. They were both aware of the hopelessness of what the world had become. There was nothing they could do at this point but survive. He turned to the bed.

With slow, steady movements, he slid the backpack straps from his shoulders. Placing it softly on the ground, he turned his attention to the bed covers and attempted to pull them off. Nina unclenched her jaw and blinked slowly before standing from the bed, cautiously removing her backpack and setting it next to Caleb's. She helped him remove the blankets and sheets and placed them in a pile on the floor. She tiptoed around the foot of the bed to the opposite side. Caleb reached down to put his hands under the mattress; she mirrored his movements. Their gaze met, and Caleb nodded. In unison, they lifted the mattress from the bed and quietly placed it against the door. She held it in place while Caleb got the box springs and placed them against the mattress. She held that in place too. Caleb stepped back to the bed frame. Taking a deep, silent breath, he lifted the foot of the bed and slid the frame across the room. It hitched and hesitated on the carpet, refusing to move. The pounding increased.

Irritation and anger flashed across Caleb's face, but it fizzled out just as fast. Caleb shrugged. The zombies already knew they were there, he wasn't exposing a secret. With the extra padding against the door, they had plenty of time to escape if/when the zombies figured out where they were. With a grunt, he pulled the bed toward the door, no longer caring if it was quiet. It thumped on the floor, then knocked into the mattresses, which proceeded to bang the door. The pounding became louder and more determined. Then came the sound of shattering glass. Caleb and Nina glanced at each other with wide eyes and scrambled to secure the bed in place. Once the headboard had the mattresses propped up, they moved the dresser and nightstand to the foot for added security. Once those were in place, they sat with their backs against it, ready to brace the barrier with their remaining strength. If they didn't have to leave, they weren't going to. The zombies may have been right outside the door, but Caleb and Nina were safer in this room than they were outside.

Footsteps echoed throughout the house, along with the sound of pictures sliding off walls and more breaking glass. The floor vibrated beneath them from the flurry of activity below. Nina grabbed Caleb's hand and held on tight. Her nails dug into his flesh, but he didn't mind. He welcomed the pain. It reminded him he was still alive.

Yes, but for how long?

The voice was soft, almost nonexistent. Still, the question made Caleb's stomach knot and his heart slam into his ribcage.

If you survive this, you should really reconsider your survival techniques.

Footsteps thumped unevenly on the stairs. Nina inhaled a sharp breath and dug her nails even deeper into Caleb. He closed his eyes and focused on the steps. He had to be ready if they made it to the door and tried to get in. He wasn't sure where it would come from, but he had to muster the strength to keep the undead out and his sister safe. He clenched his jaw and squeezed Nina's hand back to keep the raging fear under control. He kept telling himself the door was secure and the zombies wouldn't be able to break through the barrier, but part of him didn't believe it. Part of him knew they were doomed.

Both of you are going to die in this room.

Caleb's breath hitched, his body tensed. Nina tensed too. The footsteps thundered down the hall. The vibrations in the floor turned to shakes. He planted his feet into the carpet and pressed his back harder against the nightstand. It was an action both to ensure their safety and to keep his muscles from shuddering because of fear. Nina's breathing came in pants. They were so quick, Caleb was convinced she was going to hyperventilate and pass out. Her grip remained strong though, and Caleb focused on her fingers tight around his instead of focusing on the worst-case scenario.

Time stopped. It always stopped when they were being hunted. As if the universe wanted Caleb to experience every excruciating moment of fear, to remember every detail of panic and dread. He hated it. Every moment changed him, pushed him deeper into despair, and made him realize how awful and hopeless the world had become. All that existed was the deafening footsteps of the undead. They paced the hall with determination. The pounding would come next, followed by the splintering of wood and the gnashing of teeth. They'd figure out they couldn't get through the door and break down the walls instead. The thought quickened Caleb's already fast heartbeat. His eyes flew open. If he had to run, he needed to know where he was going. There wouldn't be much time, but Caleb and his sister would have to make it to the window to get away. With any luck, there wouldn't be a sea of monsters waiting for them below.

Caleb tried to count how many creatures there were by isolating the different sounds their shoes made, but it was impossible. They all blended together in a cacophony of thuds. He bit his bottom lip. Sweat beaded on his forehead, his head started to pound. Between his rapid heartbeat and quick breaths, dizziness threated to wash over him, but it was held at bay by the adrenaline coursing through his veins. The scream rose into his throat. The urge to run twitched his legs.

Go. Get out and keep going.

If only he could. If there were a safe place, he'd go in a heartbeat.

Sweat dripped down his forehead. He held his breath in intervals to keep the scream from escaping and to prevent himself from hyperventilating. It was becoming increasingly difficult to hold it in. Heat burned his face. Just when he thought he'd lose the battle, his sister's grip on his hand loosened. He jerked his head toward her, sure she had passed out. Instead, she stared at him wide-eyed, her face pale. As Caleb stared back, he became aware the footsteps had lessened. There was no longer a stampede outside the door. The undead were losing interest. Time started again. Caleb's breathing slowed, but the tension remained in his body. His muscles shook from fear and adrenaline draining from his system. Exhaustion settled over him, but he knew he'd never be able to rest.

Caleb squeezed Nina's hand to let her know it was going to be all right. And for a while, it would be. He just wished it could be like before. Tears pooled on her lower lids and spilled down her cheeks. Her chin dimpled.

"I can't do this anymore," she whispered.