CHAPTER 15

Caleb didn't know what time it was when he woke up. His room didn't have a clock, and he had no way to look outside from his bed. He figured it was early. It felt early. He could attempt to get some more rest, but he knew his body wouldn't allow it. Besides, he felt pretty good; alert and ready for what the day might bring. There was no question it would involve hanging out with Dr. Maudas and having a multitude of tests run on him. Would the doctor expect him to shower? Caleb decided he should probably change out of the scrubs; they were growing beyond fresh, and if he was going to change, he might as well shower. The locker room was at the end of the hall a few doors from his room, it wouldn't take him long to get there. With a sigh, he rolled out of bed and trudged toward the shower.

After drying his hair, Caleb balled up the towel and tossed it at the hamper across the room. He missed. With a sigh, he walked to it and placed it in the container. He also placed his borrowed scrubs in there and changed into a pair of basketball shorts and a t-shirt he found in the closet. Despite the fact he was in a cave, the place was comfortably warm, almost making him forget rock completely surrounded him. He walked to the living area and plopped down on the couch. It sunk beneath him, enveloping him in softness, and the faint smell of dust tickled his nostrils. He stared at the TV, wondering if it worked or picked up any channels. With a shrug, he pointed the remote at the screen and clicked on.

Almost immediately light flashed into the room, but it took a little longer for the sound to follow. Still, Caleb was impressed. This would give him something to pass the time until Dr. Maudas began his battery of tests—and it would help him take his mind off the impending experiments. The channel was on the news, and Caleb watched for a few minutes, but there was nothing of interest on. He had a slight hope there would be a story about him and how he'd been imprisoned and taken against his will, but the meteorologist was giving the weather predictions for the week. He flipped through the four channels before settling on a movie from the before days. He couldn't remember the title, but it was a comedy about two people falling in love, but only after a series of misunderstandings and embarrassment. It was formulaic and predictable, but still a welcome distraction. He even found himself chuckling at a few of the scenes.

His mind drifted to the first time he'd seen this movie during the summer between his sophomore and junior year. Nina was getting ready for her senior year. She'd wanted to see the movie since first watching the trailer on TV. She went on and on for weeks about how she and her friends were going opening night. Caleb thought the movie looked stupid—a completely unrealistic look at relationships—but he never said anything to Nina. He just rolled his eyes inconspicuously as she went on about it. He figured it was her thing, and it didn't affect him, so he let Nina have her thing. He even supported her by going with her to get tickets. He was proud of himself for being a good brother.

On opening night, Nina could barely contain her excitement. She was on her phone all day making plans with her friends for the evening. The high-pitched giggling echoed through the house threatened to burst his eardrums. He listened to quotes from the trailer until he thought his brain would melt and leak out of his nose, but he knew the excitement would subside after they saw the film. He was wrong. For weeks, his sister and her friends quoted the movie and talked about it so much, he felt like he had watched it with them. When it came out on DVD, Nina made sure to buy her own copy. Caleb couldn't stand it anymore; he had to see what the fuss was about, so he watched it with his sister. It was as he had originally expected: a completely unrealistic look at relationships, but it had some funny parts.

As he watched the movie now, he wanted Nina to be there with him. She could probably quote it from beginning to end, and he would get to hear her laugh again.

The film was almost over when Dr. Maudas walked into the room. He wore tan pants and a navy-blue turtleneck. Caleb imagined his closet was full of the things, coordinated by color. They stared at one another for a moment, each waiting for the other to say something. Caleb had no desire to be pleasant and cordial, which he assumed the doctor wanted—he oozed prim and properness. Neither of them said a word, so Caleb averted his gaze back to the TV.