CHAPTER 16

"I don't know what's going on in your head, Caleb, unless you tell me."

Caleb continued to stare at Dr. Maudas. He wasn't intentionally difficult, he was just afraid if he voiced some of the things going through his mind or happening physically, it would make him less than human. It was so much easier to pretend everything was all right. And yet, it wasn't. If anyone could help Caleb, it was Dr. Maudas, but Caleb didn't know if he would help.

Dr. Maudas crossed his legs and folded his hands in his lap. "I've learned a lot about zombies being out here on my own. For what they are, they are actually quite complex."

Caleb's brow wrinkled in confusion. "'For what they are'? I don't follow."

"On the simplest level, they are nothing more than a reanimated corpse. The dead brought back to life. Would you agree?"

Caleb nodded.

"But if you dig deeper, there is more to them than just being a corpse. Are you following me so far?"

"I think so. You're talking about the virus, right?"

Dr. Maudas smiled his thin smile. "A remarkable creature, that virus. How much do you know about it?"

Caleb shook his head. "Not much. Samuel told us it was being developed to treat cancer but got out of hand and mutated."

Dr. Maudas cleared his throat and adjusted in his seat. "You see, Caleb, using viruses to fight disease was not a new idea when they applied it to treat cancer. Diseases are caused by damaged DNA which have to be fought by changing the DNA, and viruses have the capability to do that. Do you understand?"

Caleb waggled his head back and forth. "Sort of."

"The history of virus evolution is unclear; no one really knows where they came from or why they evolved. However, there are millions of them throughout the world. But they can only replicate inside living cells, and they carry genetic material derived from either RNA or DNA."

Caleb's confusion deepened. "Wait. If they can only replicate inside living cells, how does that explain zombies?"

Dr. Maudas held up his hand to silence Caleb. "Patience. I'll get to that. Perhaps you could refrain from asking questions until I'm done. I might answer a few along the way." He placed his hand back into his lap and sat silently for several moments.

Caleb pressed his lips together and fought back his irritation. Dr. Maudas had a pompous, condescending tone to his voice, as if it was a chore for him to have to explain this to Caleb. But as long as he was talking, he wasn't running tests. Caleb waved his hand in the air, encouraging the doctor to continue.

"Viruses," Dr. Maudas explained, "like all species on this planet, are only concerned with perpetuating their kind and passing their genetic information on to the next generation. Unfortunately, in some cases, it means the host suffers in the process. They get sick. Illnesses in humans can range from the common cold all the way to the Ebola virus, and the body's reaction to viruses ranges from a stuffy nose and sneezing, to dying from internally bleeding organs."

The doctor uncrossed his legs and leaned slightly forward in his seat.

"To humans, viruses are scary and destructive. The chance of being killed by them is a distinct possibility, and we really have no way to fight them. Unlike bacteria, we can't destroy viruses with antibiotics. It's not really the viruses' fault we have such a horrific reaction to them. From a reproductive standpoint, it is in their best interest to keep us alive. They can pass on and continue to thrive. But that isn't always the way it works out, so viruses adapt. They evolve—or mutate—to become more efficient. Are you with me so far?"