CHAPTER 17

This is even worse than I imagined.

Caleb's skin became clammy, queasiness settled into his stomach. He swallowed, and it stuck in his throat. Knowing he was "infected" answered some questions—the top of the list being why the zombies thought he was one of them. If the virus's mission was to find a new host, he wasn't a good candidate because he already had it. However, it was disconcerting knowing ingesting living tissues, particularly someone else's blood, fed the virus. Just because the disease hadn't turned him into the walking dead didn't mean he was different from the zombies—especially the BZs and RBZs. What would happen if they ingested living flesh? He didn't want to know. It was a good thing they didn't eat humans. He shuddered thinking about how they retained some of their humanity, how Lilah's eyes drew him in—there was still humanity in there.

What goes on in their minds? Do they know they are still part human but undead? How do they cope? God, it must be like a level of hell.

Another shudder shook Caleb's body. He knew it was wrong to consume the living, but when Samuel's blood dripped into his mouth, he couldn't restrain himself. It would have been so easy to give in to his desire and urges. Thankfully, he didn't. Maybe not giving in was proof he was different from the undead. Maybe RBZ and BZs had just enough intelligence to keep them from understanding the ramifications of the virus while still being a little bit human. The thought of a virus being smart enough to do all of this terrified him.

Despite a few questions being answered, Caleb still had many others. The most prominent on his mind being what he was capable of—the same question had plagued him since finding out about his immunity. But there were others too, such as exactly what kind of experiments Dr. Maudas was going to conduct on him.

Oh, I guarantee they aren't going to be good. You really need to figure out how to get out of here.

A tingling sensation originated in the center of Caleb's chest and spread down his arms and into his fingers. He knew he needed to get out, but he had to figure out how first. Dr. Maudas made it a point to let him know it wouldn't be easy—if not impossible. The timing had to be right. He glanced at the doctor. The smile of excitement still clung to his lips. What about this whole situation did he find so fascinating? Caleb didn't want to know. The man already made him uncomfortable and afraid. He had to live with him for a while longer, so it was best not to add a level of terror. If it made Dr. Maudas happy to talk about the virus, Caleb would keep talking about it. For the moment, it kept him safe.

"Is that why a vaccine never worked? Because the virus kept changing?"

It wasn't the most important question Caleb could have asked, but it was one he wanted to hear the answer to.

Dr. Maudas shook his head. "No, the vaccine didn't work because the virus has an awesome defense mechanism built into it. One most immune systems can't break down."

"What's it called? The virus?"

"It doesn't have a name. No one is clamoring to name the species that practically wiped out the human population."

"So, it can't infect animals?"

"Not at the moment. But that doesn't mean sometime in the future it won't mutate again."

The queasiness in Caleb's stomach turned to nausea. His head felt light and hollow. He tightened his grip on the arms of his chair so he had an anchor to keep him in reality.

"It's a frightening prospect, the virus." Dr. Maudas's voice was low, almost soothing. "But you have nothing to worry about. It's damaged you as much as it can."

A bitter chuckle escaped Caleb's lips. The virus had done a lot—he wasn't going to deny it had—but he was sure there was still more it could do to tear Caleb down.