CHAPTER 5

From the dining hall, Caleb and Samuel rode another elevator requiring a key to the parking garage. It wasn't the same one Caleb had been in earlier. This one had five rows of various vehicles from pick-up trucks to SUVs to passenger cars. Caleb stopped in his tracks as he stepped off the elevator. His eyes took in the sight, and his brain wondered why Zomtech needed so many vehicles. In the city, everything was within walking distance, and since so few people actually left the city, having a vehicle wasn't as common as they had been before. It wasn't like he saw scientists cruising around for whatever. Caleb searched his memory for any rumors involving Zomtech and vehicles, like going outside the city for study subjects, but nothing came to mind.

A bee-boop echoed throughout the enclosed concrete area, followed by flashing lights on a black truck. Samuel gestured for Caleb to go ahead, and he stepped up to the truck and opened the door. The interior was gray leather and the smell of new plastic mixed with the seats. Caleb plopped himself into the seat and pulled on his seat belt. He refused to let himself think about the ridiculous amount of luxury he was surrounded by after three-quarters of the world had been destroyed. He didn't care why Zomtech had these vehicles and what they used them for. There were so many other things he had to worry about.

The lump in his throat attempted to cut off his airway as thoughts about the breakfast he'd just had with Eric ran through his mind. It hadn't escaped his notice when Hale had stayed behind, even when the doctor said he was heading to his lab. Eric had hugged him long and hard before they parted ways, whispering in Caleb's ear for him to be careful. Caleb told him the same thing. He hoped Hale wasn't watching Eric like a hawk, but he wouldn't have been surprised if he was. Still, he hoped Eric used caution when going after the "remote." He didn't want anything bad to happen to his guardian.

The driver's side door closed and shook the truck slightly. Caleb turned to Samuel.

"Why wasn't Jan at breakfast?"

Samuel shrugged. "She had other plans."

Caleb tightened his fist. Images of zombies tearing her apart ran through his mind, followed by Samuel laughing in the background. Like Rachel's death, Caleb wouldn't have been surprised at all if Samuel had filmed it. He was probably holding on to it for the right moment to keep Caleb under control.

"What kind of plans?"

Samuel sighed and turned to Caleb, his jaw muscles tight. "I don't know, Caleb. I didn't ask."

Caleb narrowed his eyes. "Did you do something to her?"

Samuel mimicked Caleb's narrowed eyes. "Are you going to believe what I tell you?"

Caleb bit the inside of his cheek. Samuel had a point. No matter what he was told, he would be suspicious of the truth. He shrugged. Samuel huffed again, a reaction telling Caleb he was getting annoyed, but Caleb didn't really care. He wanted to get under Samuel's skin and drive him crazy; it could lead to Samuel making a mistake and giving Caleb a chance to escape. Not only that, but Samuel's irritation reminded him he was human and not any better than Caleb—no matter how much he believed he was.

"The last time I saw Jan was when we left the pizza place. Did I send someone to her place to tell her about breakfast? Yes. But she wasn't home. Do we have people looking for her? Yes. Are they going to hurt her? Not as long as she doesn't do anything stupid." Samuel raised his eyebrows and stared at Caleb hard, as if the action was enough to convince him he told the truth.

Caleb wanted to believe him. There seemed to be a conviction in his words, but after Samuel's betrayal and imprisonment in Samuel's apartment, it was hard.

Suspicion will keep you alive. Trust is for the weak.

He couldn't do anything for Jan now anyway. He had to hold on to the thought she had been smart enough to get away. She knew the risks. The thought didn't make him feel better. No matter what he told himself, he would always be the reason Jan got involved. It was his fault if anything happened to her, no matter how hard he tried to prepare her.