CHAPTER 19

Despite the light breakfast, Caleb felt the oatmeal rise to the back of his throat. He shot out of the chair like it had caught fire.

"I thought you said it was dangerous to inject my blood into others."

"It is."

"So why are you doing it? Can't you test whatever you're testing some other way?"

Dr. Maudas held Caleb in his gaze for several quiet moments. Caleb felt his discomfort grow with each passing second.

"I have already conducted my other tests, and the results were inconclusive, so now I'm progressing to the next stage of the experiment, which involves injecting this subject with your blood."

Dr. Maudas had a pompous, condescending tone to his voice informing Caleb he was the adult and he would be making the decisions. Caleb could argue. He wanted to protest and fight and tell Dr. Maudas what he was doing was harmful and stupid, but one look at his surroundings kept the words lodged in his throat. Dr. Maudas was going to do what he wanted, whether Caleb cooperated or not.

Caleb's throat constricted. "But you said it was dangerous."

His voice came out small and weak. He had no other argument to give except throwing Dr. Maudas's words back at him and hoping they made an impact. It obviously wasn't working. Dr. Maudas was apparently intent on conducting his experiment—and the doctor seemed to be sure of the outcome; otherwise, why would he have the man strapped down? Caleb absolutely did not want to see him turn into a zombie. He didn't want to be the reason he turned.

"What if I'm wrong, Caleb? What if your blood can make him immune?"

It was the one hope Caleb held onto; his immunity could help others. He wanted to believe it could, but there had to be another way to find out.

Caleb swallowed thickly. "What are the chances?"

Dr. Maudas sat in silent contemplation for a moment, staring at Caleb with his chin tilted down. "Well, to be honest, a lot of factors come into play that can affect the outcome. It's possible your blood could save him or turn him, and it's possible he has the same genetic markers you do, and he'll become immune. But there's only one way to be one hundred percent sure."

Caleb's gaze darted from Dr. Maudas to the man on the table. His stomach tingled, his leg twitched with indecision. The doctor's nonchalance about turning a human being wasn't sitting well with Caleb, but he wasn't in a position to argue. Maybe if he had a suggestion for a different way to do the test. He wracked his brain trying to think of another way. Nothing came to mind.

"I get it, Caleb. You're morally conflicted. You want answers, but you don't want anyone to get hurt in the process. If it makes you feel better, he understood the risks of what could happen when he volunteered to further science."

Caleb's gaze slid to Dr. Maudas, his lips pressed together into a thin line. Knowing the man understood the risks didn't make him feel any better. And he wasn't sure if those words about him being a volunteer were true.

"Would you like me to make the decision for you? Would you like to do this the hard way?"

Yes! Force me to do it. Shove me in the chair and tie me down. That way, the guilt if something bad happens won't haunt me forever.

Caleb didn't respond out loud. In all honesty, the thought of being shoved into the chair by an RBZ was just as unappealing. The situation was terrible no matter how he looked at it. If he could make the man immune, he would be forever grateful. If he couldn't, well, as horrible as it sounded, at least the man wouldn't remember what happened to him. With his gaze still locked on Dr. Maudas, Caleb sat back in the seat and turned his arm so the doctor had access to his veins. His other hand had a death grip on the metal handle, and his leg bounced up and down.