Nine

"Wh-what are you doing?" I stuttered out as I looked down at my cuffed hands. 

Kate seemed to cry even harder in the corner and even Dylan looked on the verge of tears. 

"K-Kate? What's happening? Dylan? Rob?" I asked, looking around frantically as they all avoided eye contact. 

"Please follow us, miss." The security guard said lowly and began leading me away. 

I looked around in a panic, starting to hyperventilate as the led me out the door. 

I knew what was happening. They were leading me next door to my very own cell. They must have diagnosed me with one of the most severe mental disorders because the only cells on this floor were padded rooms built for the most unstable patients. 

I wanted to scream and yell, to fight them, tell them I'm not crazy but I knew they wouldn't listen, if anything it would make it all worse. I'd have to stay calm to convince them. Explain to them that I'm not crazy. 

I'm not crazy. 

I'm not crazy. 

I know I'm not crazy. 

They undid the restraints once I stepped into the room, leaving me alone, looking at the mirror I knew they were watching me through. 

I sat down on the floor, bringing my knees to my face as I tried to calm my breathing. I was having a panic attack I knew it. I'd had them a lot before after my parents died. 

I went over the exercises in my head. 

"B-bed" I said out loud, trying to list the things I'm seeing to help ground me. 

"Wh-white" I said a little louder. 

I knew this made me come across even more critical but it was the only thing that worked for me. 

Eventually I managed to get my breathing under control and gained control again. 

What is happening? 

I looked around me and my heart broke. 

I missed him. I missed him a lot. 

I just wanted to run over there and be with him. 

I was sitting in an identical room but there was only one thing missing. The one thing that brought me peace. The one thing I needed. 

Him. 

A few hours later I stopped crying, just lying on the floor in my room, too dehydrated to cry anymore. I had nothing left to give. 

I heard a soft ding and knew they had just delivered a trey of food into my room. 

I looked over at it but couldn't find the energy to get up or to care. 

I just went back to my position, staring at the ceiling or walls. Anywhere to avoid the mirror because I knew I wouldn't like what I saw. 

I heard the click of the mirror being changed back into a window but couldn't bother looking through the other side. I didn't want to risk seeing my reflection. 

"Hi, Opal." A soft  female voice said, "I'm doctor Pat" 

I looked over at her to see her sitting close to the glass. She seemed nice, she was one of our newest doctors so I'd barely spoken with her but she always gave off a good vibe. 

I just stared at her for a minute, taking in her hopeful expressions.

"How are you feeling today?"