Chapter 1

Earth

"Excuse me! Coming through — hey, watch out — excuse me! Sorry! Sorry, ma'am! Oops — I'm really sorry! Excuse me!"

Graduation day. Finally, after years of hard work and dedicafion. Finally, I made it out this endless torture of readings, experiments, and no sleeps. And finally, I'll have the chance to be on board a star ship.

A lot has changed since my very first year in the institution. Well, a lot except one thing...

My tardiness.

The reason I am now rushing through a pool of beings, hardly able to breathe from how hard I was running. My chest felt tighter and tighter the more I ran. I'd probably have special awards such as: most tardy. Never missed a day.

I might have been too excited last night because I wasn't able to get any sleep at all, thus bringing me to my current situation. I was really running late for the ceremony and I bet they're already handing out badges and papers. For some ironic reason, the street seems more crowded when you're in a rush than it does when you're trying to hide from someone you don't wanna see.

"Cadet Ulani Nova."

I heard my name blast through the speakers as our Head called my name to go up the stage. The hall where the ceremony was being held was still far but it felt like everything was being broadcasted in the whole academy. I hurried even more towards the hall, apologizing to everyone I was accidentally bumping into. 

"Cadet Ulani Nova... Is she not around? Let's mo —"

"I'm here! I'm here, Professor! I'm sorry!" I shouted at the back of the crowd, catching my breath. Everyone turned their heads to me and the embarrassment sunk it. Every breath I took was now manually done. It felt like things went slow-mo for a moment and I was able to observe the entire setting. It was well-lit, with lights from every corner and all over the ceiling. The seats were arranged in rows, each elevated one-floor from the previous. Every graduate looked, for some reason, more stunning in their uniforms, now that it's the last time they're wearing it. All guests were also well-dressed, huge smiles on their faces, proud of each and every graduate.

"Cadet Nova."

The deep voice pulled me back from the trance and, without looking back at the person, I smiled sheepishly at the Admiral who gave me a concerned but patient look from up the stage.

I walked towards him while the speaker stated each and every one of my achievements in this academic year, as Head puts the badges on my graduation gown. I smiled at at each of the "reward" recognizing my hard work. "You are very late again, ms. Nova." The Admiral smiles, "Congratulations."

"I'm sorry, sir. 'May or may not have been too excited last night that I forgot to sleep. But thank you." I giggled and he chuckled at my response, patting my back and signalling me to look at the camera so we can pose for a picture.

I walked down the stage, confidently smiling until I tripped on the wires, a bunch of quiet "ooh's" echoing in the hall. "Great." I muttered, dusting myself off as I got up and hid my face with my hand on the side of my head, walking to where I was supposed to sit during the whole ceremony if I wasn't so late.

"Congrats, Lany." Paris energetically beamed, teasingly poking my sides, her lips stretched widely in an excited grin. I giggled as I gently held her hand to stop her tickling me. "Thank you, Paris. Congrats too," I grinned, "I'm sorry I missed when your name was called. I wasn't able to sleep at all last night." I groaned in frustration, leaning back on my seat. She hugged me one-sided and smiled, "It's okay, glad you still made it in time for your name."