Chapter 12

Enterprise

We left Kepler the next day after we finished a bit more of surveying. Yesterday was a really long day at the side, I still wasn't able to have a single conversation with the Commander but it didn't really bother that much anymore, all I was thinking about was the paper work we were supposed to be doing.

Anyway, both me and lieutenant Uhura volunteered for writing down the information we gathered from Kepler. I was actually okay doing it on my own because I really loved this sort of things, you know, just talking about other planets, but since she was the one who talked more with William, she must know a lot more than I had observed.

I unpacked my stuffs in my quarters before changing into my uniform, fixing my hair up into a ponytail. I was going to meet with Uhura to start working on the reports and listing so I had to go to Commander Spock's office to inform him about it.

I stood outside the door, sighing heavily. Just... act like it was the first month. I was going to get in when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. "Oh, hi. I actually -"

"Let's discuss inside please." He said, walking in. "Oh no, I'm not actually staying. I have to meet with Lieutenant Uhura, Commander Spock. We decided we're going to start working on the official document that will be published about uh... Kepler." I said, still standing outside the office. "Don't worry, we'll try to finish it sooner so I could continue with my paper works tomorrow, sir." I added. He didn't say anything, he just nodded so I shrugged and just walked to the cafeteria to meet with Uhura.

"Hey." I grinned, sitting in front of her. "Oh hi, I've started typing in intros. I think I'd focus on their relationships for now." She said, "Great, I'll be writing their activities then." I said, checking my notes, "You seemed to have enjoyed William's company, by the way." I teased. "I did, he's a great guy. We just spent talking about cultures though, there were no personal information being let out." She said.

"Oh, nice, what'd he say?"

"So just like how we, humans, do it normally, they marry one person at the time. They practice strict monogamy." She started, "He also said that people only get into a relationship when they're really sure about the person they're dating. Break-ups are so rare in Kepler."

"That's cute." I cooed, "Imagine marrying the same person you dated for 10 years or something."

"I know. It's weird." She said, grinning.

"Congratulations, by the way." She said with a playful smile, "On what?" I asked in confusion, looking up from my work. "You somehow managed to convince Spock to dance at the party. I never had the chance to bring it up." She said, giggling. "Oh... yah. I had to drag him to the dance floor." I laughed, "It's good to see you're making him do things he's never done before, Lany." She said, almost seriously. "Well, he is like everyone else, a normal being." I said, shrugging a bit. "Do you... still like him?" I asked hesitantly, she hummed, placing her chin on her hand while she leans on the table. "I do. I really like him, I always will. But a relationship is... too much for me." She said.

Call me rude, but I felt relieved hearing her answer. Fine, I'll admit it. I do like the Commander just.... a tiny, teeny bit. I just feel like he's a fun guy if you've get to know him more. I mean, yes, he's intimidating, he can annoy the hell out of you but if you get used to him, it just feels like a complete different person is in front of you.

"Why... did you break up if it's okay for you to talk about it." I asked again with hesitation. "He... cared less. Not about me, I'm sure he loved me but... about himself. He was okay with this and okay with that, he's okay with all the risks, it started to scare me. I can't handle this, sometimes I just want him to interfere with his feelings but... you know, he's stubborn. It's not gonna happen." She sighed. I looked at her sadly, just observing her expressions. By the way she said it, the way her eyes, her lips, her gestures were, she was definitely telling the truth.

I feel bad. I'm so torn.

***

"Lieutenant Nova, you are exactly 12.17 minutes late." Commander Spock said the moment I sat on my chair behind my desk. "Yeah, sorry. I really tried to finish the document Lieutenant Uhura and I were working on until past midnight so I could fill in today." I said, fixing the papers.

"I will not be around the office today, I am going to be at the bridge as that is where I am always supposed to be. I assume you're already familiar by now about things you should be finishing in here." He said, fixing his desk. "O-oh. Right. Are you going to be around tomorrow?" I asked. "I am afraid not."

"Oh... Okay... Are you... ever going to be in the office?" I asked again. "Maybe if new reports came in." He answered. He got up and walked towards the door, "I'm leaving."

"Hey, wait -" I was going to ask if he was mad or something but he already shut the door closed, leaving me alone in the office.

What just happened? I'm starting to think he wasn't the same guy I danced with at Kepler. Was he possessed that night or something because he was totally a different person.

***

I spent the last six hours trying to finish the paper work. I know I'm not actually supposed to be doing this, hell I should be down at the main engineering checking out our ship or something. I checked the time to see that it was already past 14. I totally forgot lunch. I'm not hungry though. It's actually a good thing I was working alone because then I don't have any distractions and I was able to finish 2 files which means one more to go and I'm free forever. I hope no records will be added.

I took the paper in my hand and got up but I immediately sat back down because of this stupid orthostatic hypotension. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and then got up slowly. I walked out the door and on to medbay, greeting Bones an energetic hi. "Can I stay here for work, it got too quiet in the office it started to creep me out." I said.

I groaned, sitting on one of the beds. "You're gonna work on the bed?" He asked while he walked towards me. "Yup. Can I sleep here too?" I rhetorically asked. I put up pillows behind me so I'm slightly propped and be comfortable while I work, my butt was starting to numb at the hours I was seated in that office. He closed the curtains and pulled a stool closer to the bed, "I saw him working at the Bridge today, did you talk?" He asked, crossing his arms on the bed. "Yeah but I couldn't care less, I mean come on, at least I don't have anyone telling me I'm 12.17 minutes late anymore." I sarcastically said. "What happened, do you not like him anymore?" He asked, I'm surprised Bones was actually concerned about stuffs like this, I thought he was only about being a doctor. "I told you, I never liked anyone, Bones. I only said I was concerned." I closed my eyes and exhaled deeply, "now, if you may, doctor, I am busy." I finished, raising both my eyebrows at him. He sighed and rolled his eyes ironically, "Fine but if a patient comes, you're out." He replied, walking out and then fixing the curtains closed.