Chapter 8

"Lieutenant Nova, you are exactly 4.17 minutes late for your call time." Commander Spock said, greeting me at the office door. That's actually the earliest late I've ever been. Another week has passed at the Enterprise, I am kinda getting along with the Commander, I've heard him laugh three times and I've managed to annoy him maybe about a hundred times already, I lost count.

"Ugh, I don't even keep track of time anymore." I groaned. "Then you will not be able to effectively do your job." He said, turning to his back and walking. "I do my job effectively, Commander Spock. What job? Paper works. Don't I have anything else to do?" I asked, complaining. I ran up a bit to catch up to him, walking beside him. "Where are we going anyway? Our — I mean, your office is over there."

"To med bay." He said. 

"Are we chatting with Bones again?"

"No."

"Then what?" "Experiment. Did you try dissecting before?" He asked, his hands were clasped together behind him. "We did actually, a lot of times." I answered. "A tribble has died and I will show you how to dissect them."

We got to med bay and went straight to the laboratory only to be greeted by Bones with two other nurses. "You're early, I thought you were coming in at 9." Bones said in his normal grumpy face. "I did, but considering the fact that I will be working with this Lieutenant right here, it is wise to be early because she takes up a lot of time in doing things." He said, motioning to me. "Hey!" I yelped, glaring at the Commander, "If you're gonna be around saying bad things about me, do it when I'm not around, deepshit." I sassed, rolling my eyes, "I mean, I never talk bad about you in front of you." I muttered, making Bones laugh. Commander Spock sent me a look, making me squint my eyes at him. "You are unbelievable." He looked around the laboratory, eyeing every corner. "I know." I proudly said, crossing my arms against my chest. "Okay, I'm gonna leave you two in here, don't get physical with your fights, we can't afford to have more broken flasks." Bones said walking near the door, "I hope I have the patience." I said. "Would you be needing nurses?" Bones asked, "Yes —"

"No. The lieutenant should be enough assistance." Commander Spock said, cutting me off. "Can we at least have one so it wouldn't be just us in here?" I asked, "No. You will just be spending your time talking to them, again, decreasing your productivity." 

"Okay, okay. Well, we're leaving now. I'm outside if you need anything." Bones said to which Commander Spock answered with a nod.

***

"Shit." I cursed under my breath. Commander Spock was looking at the shelves, god knows what he's thinking. I thought I was gonna be his assistant, why am I working on this my own? "Your cursing suggests something has gone wrong." He says, not bothering to turn his back to look. "I can't grab the right vessel, it keeps slipping." I said, almost complaining. 

He walked to me and told me to do it again so he could see. At my hundredth attempt to grab the vessel with my forceps, the vessel slipped again, making me groan from frustration. I heard him snort from behind, immediately making me turn my head to him, "Seriously? You're enjoying seeing me frustrated over this?"

"Try keeping your hands still."

"They are still, Commander Spock." I whined. He moved closer, grabbing the forceps from my hand and started to try to get the vessel. I just stood there, watching him try to do it. My gaze diverted to his pointed ears and then to his focused expression. "Commander?" I called, "Yes, lieutenant?" He asked, still focused at what he was doing. 

"Can I touch your ear?" I asked, he turned his head to me, staring for a few seconds then back to his work, "I believe that, Lieutenant, is inappropriate."