Chapter 14

"God, I wasn't even able to experience being late without being reminded, why did he have to be back." I muttered under my breath while I walk towards the office. I was looking at my feet while I tug my uniform's hem down when I accidentally bumped into Jim, "Sorry, I wasn't looking." I apologized. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, bending down a bit to look at me, "Yes. I am... in a hurry." I answered. "I wanted to ask you something first..." He said, it makes me feel a bit nervous when people start with that sentence. "Does it... have to be now?" I asked, I started walking while he followed behind me. "Yes, it's important." He said, grabbing my arm to stop me from walking.

"I am running a bit late though, can it wait? I don't want Commander Spock being all grumpy about me being late again." 

"I'll make it quick." He insisted, I sighed, giving him a smile, "Okay, fine." 

"You see... I've actually been trying to have the courage to ask you this. I regret that I didn't do it before we left Earth. But you see, I am not usually like this but you see uh... uhmm... I feel like I had to formally ask you because... you're different? I don't know. But yeah, and uh... I was wondering if you wanted to eat with me, later?" He blabbered. I scrunched my eyebrows together, raising my head at him. 

"We eat together literally every single day since a month ago, Jim." I said. "No. Come on, you know what I'm doing." He frowned, I looked at him, "What are you... doing?" 

He sighed, "I am.... asking you out on a date."

I blinked a couple of times, "Oh." Oh? I don't know, how should I react?

"Oh what? What oh?" 

"I don't know, I'll make time." I said, smiling before I walk past him. "Come on, you have time later." He pouted, standing in front of me.

I like Jim but knowing him, I don't think he can settle with one girl in his life. I did not mean that to be as bad as it sounds, okay? What I'm trying to say is, who knows how long your relationship will last, 2 weeks? 1 week? 3 days? 

I don't know, Jim's nice but...

"I'm really running late, Jim." I said. I looked behind him and saw Commander Spock about to walk into the office, "And the Commander's there so I have to go now." I said, walking past Jim. I ran to the Commander and he just looked at me confused then to Jim. "Good morning." I said, following him inside. "Seriously, you're really not gonna leave?" I asked, facing Jim who was still following me. 

"Just one dinner, you and me."

"Where are we even supposed to have dinner here?" I asked, laughing a bit. "Well, it doesn't matter, I just want to be alone with you." He said.

Again, I blinked a couple of times. "Fine, I'll go." I said, grinning at him.

"Yes!" He excitedly said, getting up, "That's final, okay? It's a date! I'm going now. Bye Lany, bye Spock." I chuckled, waving at him. I was left alone in the office with Commander Spock and to be honest, I don't really have anything to do in here because I already finished my paper work yesterday, so I have no idea what I'm doing here now. I just feel like I had to go.

"A tribble died," He suddenly said, "I am assigning you to do the experiment alone because I do not have the time to do so myself. But I was able to write what you're supposed to do." He handed me a file. 

I browsed through it and saw that I was just going to observe the reactions, but the problem is that each observation takes three hours, I'm just gonna fall asleep while waiting. I'm going to stay at medbay anyway.

"Okay, and... two tries are enough... right?" He looked at me, "I would need to see the results before I could agree, but 3 should be the minimum." He said before going back to his pad. "That's 9 hours total." I said, putting the paper down. "Then you better get started. You have a date after all."