Chapter 17

Narrator

"Since we'll be researching... I think going out in pairs or triad can save us time." Jim suggested, "I agree." Lany said, fixing her bags.

Lany fixed her phaser into her belt, and put her tricorder, comm, PADD, and notebook in her back pack. She pulled her shorts down a bit and walked closer to the others. "I'll go with Lany." Jim said, surprising Lany but she agreed anyway.

Spock felt the urge to disagree with Jim and although he thought it was logical to just ignore it, he still voiced his disagreement, "I think it is only right that I go with Lieutenant Nova, besides, you are the one who assigned her as my responsibility, Captain."

"Yeah, but we're not in the ship, Commander."

"But we are still on a mission as crews of the Enterprise —"

"Spock, I'm partnering up with Lany."

"Captai —"

"Oh my god, quit it. I'm going with doctor McCoy." Lany groaned, grabbing Bones by his arm, "I — uh. Sorry." Bones told the two other guys, letting Lany pull him outside the temple. "Great." Kirk muttered. "Thanks, Spock. I lost my chance to be alone with Lany."

"You had your alone time with her when you dated." 

Jim looked at Spock, "And I want to be alone with her again."

"You are then implying that you wanted to partner up with her because you had romantic feelings for her and wante —"

"Yes, Spock. I know what I said."

"I am glad she did not go with you then." Spock said, and Kirk looked at him weirdly, "What?"

"Where's Lieutenant Uhura?" Spock asked, looking around. Uhura walked out of what seemed like a bathroom and towards the two. "Where's Lany and Bones?" She asked, fixing herself up. "The Captain suggested that we split, so Lany and Bones went together." Spock answered. "Oh. I'm surprised you didn't go with them, Jim." Uhura said with a smug smile, "Yeah, well someone ruined it for me." He said. "Who?"

"I wonder." Kirk sarcastically asked, glancing at Spock before walking out. Spock looked at him without a clue before following out with Uhura.

***

Bones was trying to focus on researching but he couldn't help but notice that Lany was out of it. He sighed, putting his bag down next to the rock Lany was sitting on. "Alright, tell me what's going on." He said, sitting next to her. "What?" She asked cluelessly, "With you. What's going on with you? You seemed out of it since you got back from the walk with Spock." He worriedly said. "Ridiculous, nothing's wrong. I feel great." She said with a fake enthusiasm. "Come on, kid. I've been married. I know all the facade women put on."

She sighed in defeat, leaning forward. "I don't know. I'm confused." She said, sighing. "About?" Lany thought for a while, "When... when I stumbled down that hill... I — ugh, never mind. It's nothing really. I'm fine." She said, shrugging it off. "I'm not going to force you to tell me but if you need someone to talk to, I'm here and I won't judge." Bones said, putting his arm around Lany's shoulder. "Although I know, it's only about Spock again." He chuckled, "If he keeps making you sad like this I might have to talk to him soon." 

"DON'T!" Lany exclaimed. Bones laughed, shaking his head. "I won't, but what really happened this time?" He asked. She leaned her head on Bones's shoulder and frowned, "He's so hard to understand, Bones!" She groaned, throwing her hands up. "I really think you have to talk to him." He said. Lany sighed, "I'll try to figure things out. Thanks, doctor. Now let's get back to work."