guilt

⎯ "i didn't wanna believe that I could lose you."

/(name) hates her quirk

🅰︎🅶🆄🆁🅸 - leftover → a name given to unwanted children.

"Happy Birthday Aguri!" The older of the two grinned, activating the confetti popper in her hand. Vibrant yellow, pink, and blue fluttered about like magic, circling the table and hypnotizing the child.

"Let's cut the cake?" (Name) stated rather than offered, fingers encircling her baby sister's arm. She prepared two dessert plates, both intricate and expensive looking in design. The silence in the manor was smothering and the cheerful mood she fabricated soon reverted to loneliness.

"Nee-san, what about Mama and Papa?" The little girl pointed out the number of plates, looking up at her with doe eyes. Big, innocent, and wrongfully abandoned.

(Name) could only place a hand on her head and try to erase the doubt with a smile. What could she say? She wasn't old enough to understand it either, why a parent no longer loved their child. Unconditional love was something unfamiliar to them.

At least to (S/n), now called Aguri - a name bestowed by their parents after her 5th birthday, an entire year after her quirk should've manifested. It never did. And at the tender age of five, she learned what it meant to be useless.

Since Aguri was born, the expectations were set in stone. Hone your power and don't disappoint. She couldn't have understood their heartbroken parents, the first to stain their bloodline with the putrid stench of quirklessness. It was a bad omen, surely.

It would only get worse when they realized the fevers wouldn't go away, and she was destined to be fragile. But (Name) thought it was a family curse. They muttered such sinful things under their breath, making her precious sister feel sorry for existing at all.

Nothing hurt more than being unable to protect her, because Aguri's biggest enemy would always be the one born with a quirk, the one their parents doted on - her older sister.

So (Name) did what she could. She loved her. She loved her enough to cover up their parents' resentment, and the pitiful fate that awaited her as a powerless person in a society where your worth was decided at infancy.

She tried her hardest.

One day, she came home looking happier than usual, Aguri noticed. She did that a lot, ever since she moved to that new school.

Like always, (Name) rushed home to her, trying to fill the gaps in her worthless sister's heart. It had been that way for as long as they could remember. She'd probably be homeschool her whole life. Secluded and lonely, never getting the chance to expose her family's dirty little secret.

Then (Name) started coming later and later, leaving Aguri with no one but the maid whose gaze wouldn't meet her eyes. Sometimes she didn't come home until moonlight peered through the curtains and owls were watching her self-indulgence.