Punishment

"You could have been killed!" Ruto shouted as the group winced. Teba and Link were kneeling before the governess as they awaited for their punishment as Zelda, and Urbosa stood their ground behind the two knights. Revali did his best to not be seen as he hid behind Urbosa, who knows how the woman would react if she found out he was there.

    "We were fine." Zelda said as she played with a strand of her purple hair. "Someone shot off a flare, that's not our fault. So why are you yelling at us!"

    "You know why I'm yelling at you. You are the next heir to the throne, and you go off without any bodyguards-"

    "I had two bodyguards and Urbosa. I don't need an army and I don't need to be locked away in a castle all day."

    "What if someone tried to kill you!"

    "No one even recognized me, I had a little girl come up to me and say that I look like a princess, but that was it. You're overreacting!" Zelda yelled her anger rising. Ruto huffed a breath as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

    "You should not have gone, Zelda. You went against your father's wishes and left the castle. You did this with only two bodyguards and they couldn't even keep you safe." Ruto said as Zelda looked to her father who was sitting on the throne watching them. Why wasn't he helping her?

    "Zelda listen to Ruto, she only wants what is best for you." The king said as he got to his feet after a few minutes.

    "Father, I-"

    "Silence!" Zelda fell quiet. "You are to return to your room immediately we will discuss this in private. Urbosa you are excused..." Urbosa hesitated, almost afraid to move but did eventually when two guards came up to her sides guiding her out of the throne room.

    "Who are you?" Ruto asked as she spied Revali and Zelda froze mid step.

    "He's my friend, I invited him." Zelda blurted before rushing to Revali's side.

    "I've never met this young man in my life." King Rhoam said as he ran a hand over his beard, contemplating.

    "We are pen pal's father." Zelda lied, knowing that if they found out he was Link's love interest it could go very bad for the both of them. "He was visiting the city so I invited him to stay." Rhoam didn't seem convinced before squinting his eyes at Revali.

    "If you invited him to stay, then where is he staying."

    "I didn't want you guys to freak out so I was having him stay with Link." Zelda mumbled as she heard Ruto scoff.

    "Whatever, Zelda and..."

    "Revali." Revali whispered.

    "Revali, you are both dismissed. Link and Teba you are both to be punished for failing your duties of protecting the princess." Ruto said as Zelda practically dragged Revali from the throne room. Once they were up to Zelda's room, she slammed the door before finally turning to look to Revali.

    "What's going to happen to Link and Teba?"

    "There punishment... can be many things... most likely that they are to train until Ruto deems that they have completed the punishment. The last time that happened, Link collapsed after three days of nonstop training. He was in the medical wing for almost a week." Zelda almost winced at the memory. The horror on Revali's face was enough to stop Zelda from continuing anything.

    "They didn't do anything wrong though. Link saved you." Revali stated.

    "That doesn't matter to Ruto." Zelda informed as Revali sat down, his stomach lurching. He might not even see Link for three days and then a week in medical. "I'm sorry... this probably isn't what you wanted to hear... I keep ruining everything for you two." Zelda whimpered as she lowered her head in shame. Strands of her purple and blue hair fell into her face as she tried to calm herself. Her hands covering her face as she tried to stop the tears from falling.

    "This isn't your fault."

    "Yes it is! If it wasn't for me going to Link's place this never would have happened. I screw everything up!" Revali pushed himself to his feet as he moved to the princess's side. He tentatively gripped her wrists, pulling her hands from her red eyes as tears trailed down her face.

    "What happened is nothing that anyone could have predicted. You just wanted to vent to someone and it happened to be us. There was nothing wrong with going out for a little while and let's be honest, today was a lot of fun up until... well... you know." Revali mumbled as Zelda nodded a small smile crossing her face.

    "You're right, if I hadn't gone to Link's I would have never met you." Zelda smiled as Revali returned the grin. A knock came from the door as it opened a few seconds later, a large man entered he was nearly as tall as Urbosa. His uniform matching the royal guards as he gave a bow as a small woman rushed in after giving a bow as well.

    "Revali, I am to escort you back to Link's apartment. Zelda your father requests your presence in the throne room." The man said as Zelda nodded.

    "Thank you, Daruk and Mipha." Zelda muttered as she and Revali walked out with Daruk and Mipha behind them. They dropped off Zelda with her father and the governess, with Mipha opting to stay with the princess as Daruk led Revali into the tunnel under the castle.

    "Can you tell me what happened to Link?" Daruk chuckled.

    "I'm going to assume you're the guy that Link always talked about. Well... Link and Teba are ordered to train until tomorrow evening when the King departs for Goron city." Daruk informed.

    "That's not so bad."

    "It is when you learn that the governess is making their training regiment." Daruk stated as Revali felt his stomach plummet. Oh. "He'll probably be in his room getting ready. You have a few minutes to talk to him before he takes off, sadly you won't see either of them until the King leaves." Daruk muttered as they got to the room and the large man knocked. Link threw open the door a few moments later, as he strapped the blade on his back.

    "Thanks, Daruk." Link whispered as the large man nodded before allowing Revali inside. The door shuts a few seconds later as Link turned to look at Revali. "I'm-"

    "Don't. You don't need to apologize. Just... try to come back in one piece." Revali murmured as Link froze his eyes locked on the ground.

    "I'm sorry. I wish we could spend more time together." Link said as Revali put on a fake smile.

    "Again, there's nothing to apologize for." Revali responded as Link stepped closer towards the Rito.

    "I-," A beep came from the phone in his hand as Link winced, "I have to go... there's an extra apartment key on the table." Link said before leaving Revali alone in the apartment. The silence is almost deafening as Revali sits down on the couch, his hands going over his face as he tries to keep himself from crying.