Hagrid Makes a Somewhat Epic Comeback

Chapter Fourteen: Hagrid Makes a Somewhat Epic Comeback
Nico's P.O.V.

TODAY WAS THE DAY we finally met the mysterious professor Hagrid. Of course we couldn't let anyone know that we've never met him before, since he's always been groundskeeper for the school ever since he went here. Apparently it would be impossible not to know him after five years.

Professor Hagrid huge man who looked to be about eleven and a half feet tall with a long mane of shaggy black hair and a beard that covered most of his face. When we got to class, he was carrying what looked like half a dead cow over his shoulder.

"We're workin' in here today!" Hagrid called happily to the approaching students, jerking his head back at the dark trees behind him. "Bit more sheltered! Anyway, they prefer the dark . . ."

"What prefers the dark?" I heard Malfoy say sharply to Crabbe and Goyle, a trace of panic in his voice. "What did he say prefers the dark- did you hear?" That Draco kid is such a wimp. Of course, being the son of Hades I'm prone to love the dark.

"Ready?" said Hagrid happily, looking around at the class. "Right, well, I've bin savin' a trip inter the forest fer yer fifth year. Thought we'd go an' see these creatures in their natural habitat. Now, what we're studyin' today is pretty rare."

He guided us towards the apparently 'forbidden' forest.

"Gather roun', gather roun'," said Hagrid encouragingly when we reached a clearing in the trees. "Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me...."

Hagrid gave a shrieking cry. A minute passed in which the class continued to peer nervously over their shoulders and around trees for a first glimpse of whatever it was that was coming.

A pair of blank, white, shining eyes were growing larger through the gloom and a moment later the dragonish face, neck, and then skeletal body of a great, black, winged horse emerged from the darkness. But what really scared me is that I could see every single flawless detail of it.

"Oh, an' here comes another one!" said Hagrid proudly, as a second black horse appeared out of the dark trees, folded its leathery wings closer to its body, and dipped its head to gorge on the meat. "Now... put yer hands up, who can see 'em?"

I put my hand up along with Piper, Leo, Harry, Neville, and a Slytherin boy who was hiding behind Goyle.

"Yeah... yeah, I knew you'd be able ter, Harry," he said seriously. "An' you too, Leo, Piper Nico, eh? An'-"

"What's doing it?" Parvati demanded in a terrified voice, apparently she couldn't see it.

"Thestrals," said Hagrid proudly. "Hogwarts has got a whole herd of 'em in here. Righ', now, who can tell me why some o' you can see them an' some can't?"

I raised my hand.

"Go on then," said Hagrid, smiling at me. I already don't like him.

"The only people who can see thestrals," I say, "are people who have seen death."

"Tha's exactly right," said Hagrid solemnly. "Ten points ter Gryffindor. Now, thestrals -"

"Hem, hem."

Professor Umbridge had arrived. She was standing a few feet away from Harry, wearing her green hat and cloak again, her clipboard at the ready.

Most of the rest of the class was spent while Umbridge asked students questions on how bad Hagrid was as a teacher. She walked up to me and said, "You can see the thestrals, Di Angelo, can you?"