Chapter 14 ~ Aftermath

Your POV

We all arrive at the compound, or whoever is left of us. Bruce, Thor, Natasha, Dad, Rhodey, and the raccoon, who's name is Rocket, all step into the compound. If I had to only use one word that could describe how we feel, it would be devastated. That's exactly how we feel right now because for the first time ever, we lost.

Waiting for our arrival outside of the compound is a Pepper Potts herself. She runs up to us. "Guys, what's going on? Where's Tony? I was on the phone with him a few hours ago and he said he was in space and then not even an hour before coming here, people started turning to dust." She says to us, sounding really scared and worried for Tony.

I look up at her. "We lost, Pepper," I say to her softly.

She just looks back at me, tears brimming in her eyes as I look away and walk past her into the compound as I go to my room and slam the door shut. I slide down the door and curl up as I put my head in my knees. My phone then rings and I take it out of my pocket, surprisingly it's not cracked. Then again Stark made the phone so he would make sure it's not easy to crack. I look at the caller ID to see it's Clint and I answer.

"Finally! Someone who answers their goddamn phone." Clint's voice says over the phone.

"Clint, what's going on?" I ask him.

"You tell me!" He snaps, anger filling his voice. "I was spending time with my family and then they disappeared. I looked all over the farm for them. What the hell happened?"

"We lost, Clint," I say, my voice breaking as I tell him. "Thanos did exactly what he said he would do. He wiped out half the population. Your family was part of that half. I'm sorry."

"How do we get them back?" He asks.

"I don't know," I answer him truthfully. "Clint just come to the compound. You don't have to be alone right now."

"I'm gonna find a way to fix this," Clint says, his voice dark and distant.

"Clint, please just—" I stop as the line goes dead.

I stand up, anger consuming me as I try not to break down.

"DAMMIT!" I scream at the top of my lungs and chuck my phone against the wall, still not shattering it somehow. I kick the wall and then kick my door which I get my foot caught in because it went right through the door. I pull my foot out as quickly and roughly as possible, tearing my suit around the ankles and pieces of wood cutting at my skin.

Rocket, who was passing by, peeks his head through the hole in my door. "Woah kid, calm down."

I look up at the ceiling and run my fingers through my hair, probably looking like a crazy person. "I'm being told to calm down by a talking raccoon, that's always great," I say to myself.

"You know I'm just trying to be nice. No need to be a dick about it." He says to me.

I look at him. "Sorry, Rocket." I open the door to let him in. "What's up?" I ask him as he steps in.

"Oh you know, the usual. Hearing you scream at the top of your lungs as you kick a hole through the door." He jokes which earns a little chuckle from me. "Are you alright?"

"I don't think any of us are alright, Rocket," I say as I plop on my bed.

"Fair point." He says and climbs up on the bed to sit next to me.

I pause before speaking. "My best friend is in space right now, not even sure if he... And then my other best friend confessed that he loved me before he disappeared." I say softly to Rocket as I try not to tear up again. "I never even got the chance to tell him how I feel." Rocket sits there and listens as I talk. "Uncle Buck was right. We really were oblivious."