Chapter 21 ~ We're gonna need a really big brain

"Don't you dare pull that card on me, (Y/n)!" Tony snaps his attention to me as he points a finger in my face. "You of all people should know how dangerous this is."

"Tony I care about Morgan too and don't want anything to happen to her either, but this is our chance... our chance to fix everything, to bring everyone back. To bring back Peter, Roy, even Ned, and MJ." I say as tears brim the corner of my eyes. "Roy told me five years ago that he loved me before he dusted away. I never got to say how I felt to him, Tony. And now, now I have a chance to tell him that I feel the same way... I have a chance to get him back. To get my best friends back and you..." I stop as I try to calm myself down. I wasn't gonna cry in front of everyone. Tony looks away from me, guilt washing over his face.

Little feet hitting the wooden floor can be heard, followed by the sound of paws running after it.

"Mommy told me to come and save you," Morgan says as she climbs onto Tony's lap while Maximus jumps up on mine and licks my face, making me smile.

"Good job. I'm saved." Tony says as he lays his head on Morgan. He looks at us. "I wish you were coming here to ask me something else. Anything else. I'm honestly happy to see you guys, I just... Oh, look, the table's set for six."

"Tony," Dad says to him. "I get it. And I'm happy for you. I really am. But this is a second chance." He reasons with him, trying to get Tony to listen.

"I got my second chance right here, Cap. Can't roll the dice on it. If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch." Tony tells us before walking back into the house.

"Bye Barry! Bye Max!" Morgan calls out and waves at us.

"Bye Maguna!" I call back to her as Maximus barks.

All of us start walking back to the car.

"Well, he's scared," Nat says to us.

"He's not wrong," Dad says.

"Yeah, but, I mean, what are we gonna do? We need him. What, are we gonna stop?" Scott asks us.

"No, I wanna do it right. We're gonna need a really big brain." Dad says.

"Bigger than his?" Scott asks as he points back to Tony's house.

"Nat, you wanna give him a call?" I ask her. Dad and Nat know exactly who I'm talking about because we all share a glance.

"Yeah, I can." She says as we all hop in the car, in the same seats we were in when we drove down here.

Maximus whines in my lap and I look down into his big brown eyes. I can tell he's worried about me just by the look he's giving me.

"I'm fine, Max. Don't worry." I say to him and scratch behind his ears. He gives me a look that just says, 'Bitch please. Stop lying.' "Don't give me that look." I point a finger at him and he just tilts his head trying to act innocent. "I'm just hoping this works. If it does you get to meet your mama and you can meet all of our friends." I say to him as I place my forehead on his head so we're looking into each other's eyes. Max then licks my face, causing me to laugh. "I'm trying to be serious, you little goof." I ruffle his fur and he barks excitedly.

"This is gonna work, (Y/n). It has to." Dad says from up front.

"I really hope you're right about that." I sigh.

Scott then speaks up. "You have a very strong connection with Maximus." He points out as he pets the dog.

"Well that's because Maximus was really helpful in times she needed comfort and when we couldn't even help her," Nat says. "By the way, Bruce is meeting us at the usual spot." Dad nods and steps on the gas pedal, speeding away into the city.