Part 16

"I should hit you for this. If you aren't better by next week, you're dead, kid," Kuroo groaned, laying sprawled on his back. 

You looked towards Kenma, bundled up in probably too many blankets, face red, a small towel draped over his forehead. He somehow caught a harsh stomach bug that was not treating him well.

"It's not his fault, Kuroo. If you're gonna complain the whole time, just go home," you said, accidentally, but rather harshly. You didn't mean to, you were just exhausted. Kenma's mother has a weakened immune system, so she dropped Kenma off at your house. She comes by every now and then with soup and anything he may need, always thanking you tons for caring for him when she couldn't. She feels terrible, but everyone knows she definitely needs to stay healthy, and while you didn't know if he was contagious or not, it's always better to stay on the safe side.

His mothers sadness that you had to shoulder from not being able to care for her son, the doctor act you had to play, plus the lack of sleep; you couldn't blame yourself for being cranky. 

"Jeez, F/N, cool down. You should go nap or something, I can watch over him for awhile. It's not like he needs to be supervised 24/7, also, y'know. You can sleep when he does," Kuroo chimed. 

You shook your head. You agreed that he needed to get better by the time the practice matches rolled around, which meant he required your full attention. Lev was improving, Kenma wanted to see Hinata. The camp was crucial to Nekoma's overall progress as a team. So, you needed to track his temperature, his meals, noting what he could keep down and what wasn't agreeing with him. Making sure he had PLENTY of water. Helping him to the bathroom if he was too weak, which was usually most times. Not to mention how miserable he sounded when he slept. Every time he shifted, he would groan from uncomfort. It was kind of heartbreaking. Even when you did sleep, which was on the floor next to your bed that you at least tried to keep him comfortable in, it wasn't for long. Every little sound he made woke you up, no matter how quiet. It wasn't annoying, and you had no idea how you could even process that he was making the slightly of noise in such a deep sleep, but you shot up each time. You almost felt like a mother too worried about her newborn baby. 

You sighed and rubbed your hands on your face, "If you don't mind staying in here, I guess I could go for a bath.." 

"Leave it to me," Kuroo sat up and grabbed a book from your shelf. He sat down cross legged on the foot of your bed and started reading. Feeling comfortable knowing he would be there, you grabbed some clothes.

"Nerd," you said playfully, right before quietly closing the door behind you. 

Looking in the mirror... was scary. You looked like total shit. The lack of sleep was showing, your hair was greasy, it was almost funny. You had planned on making your shower as quick as possible, but once you felt the stream of water pass down your back and over your head, you graciously  stood and decided to take your time. You made a list in your head of everything you needed to prepare for the training camp that was coming up. You had 4 days to have everything ready. There wasn't much that needed to be done, but you always over prepare, it can't be helped. Kenma has been sick for around 3 days now, his temperature was normal today. You kept him cooled off throughout the day and gave him foods that wasn't just soup. He might not be in top shape when it's time to go, but he'll at least be feeling better. That said, if you focused on rebuilding some of his strength starting now, with luck on his side, things should be fine.

When you were done showering you checked the time, you decided that he should eat something small. You grabbed two granola bars and some apple juice for him, and headed back into the room. Kuroo, still reading, and Kenma was scrolling through his phone. 

"Eat this, if you can," you placed the items on the side of him. 

He locked his phone and stared and them, and then looked up at you.