Chapter 6: Protection

Upon exiting 049's cell, Allume and Dane saw the surgeon standing quite awkwardly across the small corridor. He smoothed his cloak down as he watched the two exit. "Ah, there you are. I was beginning to worry." 049 perked up a bit, approaching the pair.

"How sweet." Allume replied sarcastically, making 049 roll his eyes. "Aw Doc, are your feelings hurt?"

The surgeon said nothing in response. The last thing he wanted to do was bicker with her. "Yes, well. Where are we headed now?"

"Nixa. She's close by." Allume began walking with 049 on her left and Dane behind her.

"Her? She's not all that bad." Dane spoke up, keeping his eye on 049 at the same time. He had put his gun away but was still anxious at the surgeon's presence. "But, why are we getting her?"

Allume looked at him blankly. Hadn't he read her file? He seemed to know so much about her yet nothing at all.

"She's the closest thing I have to family. If I'm getting out of here, she's coming with me." She walked at a quicker pace, hoping to get there before any MTF guards caught on to what they were doing.

Dane must have noticed her nervous feeling because he placed his hand on her shoulder, speeding up so that he was next to her. "They can't find us. Back at your cell, I left my helmet there for a reason." He placed his other hand under her chin, lifting her face to meet his. "They track us through our helmets. So I left mine there to keep those idiots off our back. I did it to protect you." His hands fell back to his sides but his gaze still rested on her. Allume looked up at him as 049 stopped far ahead of them.

"Right. We should get going." She trailed off as she started ahead, catching up to 049.

Dane, on the other hand, hesitated. He wanted to have just one moment alone with her. He was risking his life for her and then some jerk with an accent has to ruin everything. He took a deep breath and attempted to collect himself.

It didn't really matter anyways. He had a plan and it was entirely foolproof...But until he could fully enact this plan, he'd have to continue complying with her requests. So he began walking, staying just behind Allume and 049. After all, he was their protection.

A/N: again a short chapter but chapter 7 is,,,, insane. i sat writing it for a good while. hopefully y'all enjoy it! i'm having a really fun time with this story.