𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑣𝑒

I suppose Amane was right when he said this wasn't an ordinary program. I wish he could have elaborated some more back then. But there was no right to tell me. He wasn't allowed to warn me either. There was no right way to tell me that the program I longed so badly to be part of is run by a lunatic billionaire who uses gifted students for his dirty work. Again, I don't know what I have gotten myself into. How does any of this even help us with leadership skills and networking?

For the millionth time this week, I feel sick. I feel the unfairness from it all with every fiber of my body. I try to think of the positives. I'll be rewarded with money, I'll get into any school of my liking, and my future can go according to plan. But then I think negatively again, at what cost?

I always thought of myself as an overly ambitious person. If I wanted something I would reach for it and get it. Nothing could get in my way. But this is too extreme could I even possibly pull it off?

Tears prick my eyes. I bite my lip to keep from crying. Is this the price I have to pay in order to be successful?

"Oh, Yashiro, I'm afraid the tasks are up to the higher-ups. As president, there is only so much I can do. My only task is to watch over you and keep you all safe." Ms.Yako says with a small sad smile, "there is little power handed to me when it comes to those tasks, I know as little about them as you do. Don't fret though, we would never put any of you in danger."

"But-"

Ms.Yako hands me a glass of water. I feel bad for coming all the way to her room in the middle of the night but there is no one else I could talk to about this. The only other person was Amane but he didn't want to talk. He suggested I come to talk to her instead, that way I would get some clarity.

"You see, The Sevens were created not too long ago. After he took over this Academy, he created the program to lure in all the gifted children. After all, who would suspect a bunch of highschoolers? After you graduate, you can do whatever you want and all of this will just be a memory."

"You already told me that!" I yell at her. I didn't want to yell at her but I did. "Then why are you here? Why did you come back to the place that put those shackles on you when you were a teenager?"

Ms.Yako studies me. My question has obviously reached her but she doesn't show any emotion. She leans back in her chair. "I came back to find more information about him. And to protect the students, if there is anything I can do to help lessen the burden. My reason for returning is very much valid."

The glass of water trembles in my hands. "Why doesn't anyone report this to the authorities. If you have any evidence then maybe just maybe you can build a case and--"

"There is already an investigation going on. I have been working closely with authorities but we can't exactly use any of you for evidence, not yet. The people working closely with him, we don't know who they are. They have kept their identities anonymous up to now. Without any solid proof accusing someone would just make things worse. This investigation is up to the authorities. Which again, I have no control over."

"Ms.Yako," I say breathlessly, "Do you think Amane's brother's disappearance has anything to do with this situation?

Ms. Yako nods. "It's a possibility but Tsukasa was dealing with many psychological issues before even being part of the program. My next best guess is that he simply ran away."

"Please don't let anything bad happen to us." I whisper.

"Let me give you some advice, If I may. Go back to your dorm and get some rest. Agitating yourself over a situation you have no control over is going to make things worse. You might end up doing something you regret. Don't put the rest of the members in danger."

I want to take her advice, I really do. I want nothing else but sleep under my covers and sleep peacefully but I can't.

When Ms.Yako walks me to the door, I make sure to take the spare key sitting on her coffee table. She gives my shoulder a reassuring squeeze and I make myself out the door.