𝑓𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛

We work on the task that we are assigned in silence. Today, we are assigned to pick out the weeds from the garden. Simple, boring volunteer work. Nothing too bad.

I stare at him sitting crouched down by the bushes. He's wearing a pair of shorts and a gray hoodie, zipped all the way up. I wonder if he's cold. He doesn't say anything to me. I am sure he's going to keep me at an arm's length from now on. I suppose there is nothing I can do now. I shouldn't have been too nosy.

I kind of like this task. I like the way my hands pull out the weeds from the grass. I like using my hands and not thinking. I put my headphones in, turn up the volume and enjoy the music.

I have only managed to take out the weeds from a small area but this distraction is serving me well. Not only is it distracting me from the obvious tension between Amane and I but from everything else too. From school and falling behind on all my work and the fact that I don't have the time of day to hang out with my friends.

I miss them.

I like the way the autumn air hits my face. Although it has the capacity to burn my cheeks sometimes, it leaves me with a refreshed feeling. A certain feeling I can't acquire by anything else.

As we continue to work side by side, the sun dips into the horizon. Hues of purple and orange paint themselves on the sky. I can't help but look up in awe.

"Yashiro," He calls out to me for the first time. "I'm heading back. I'm freezing."

For one fleeting moment I look at him and then return my gaze to the weeds in my hands. "Okay."