chapter 8

Jen's POV

I decided to go and talk to Court and Lisa. 

We make arrangements to meet at Court's house at noon for lunch and wine and talk. 

I roll up at 11:55 and knock on the door. 

Court answers, holding Coco who's sleeping in her arms. 

"Hey honey. Ohh... look at Coco, she's so adorable." I say while hugging Court. 

"Until she makes you get up at three in the morning screaming because she's hungry and she shit her diaper. Come in!" Court says, making me laugh. 

Lisa pulls up at exactly noon.

Court puts Coco down and then we sit on the couch and have some charcuterie and wine.

"So, Lisa, how are things with Michel and Julian?" I ask. Lisa smiles, just thinking about them. "Good, really good! I mean, Jules is in that super bratty age right now, he pisses me off sometimes, but it's just going great. We've booked a trip for France in a month, I'm just really happy. Domestic bliss and all that." She says, practically giddily. I smile at her girlish happiness. 

"That's awesome, honey. What about you, Court?" I say. She lets out a noise of exasperation. 

"Well, Coco keeps me up every night with her crying, but she's so damn cute I just can't be angry. David's been so good with her, changing her and doing laundry and cooking just to help me out. It's just been alright." She says contentedly.

"Well, what about you, Jen?" Asks Lisa. I give a weak smile. 

"Oh, you know, can't complain." I say. Court gives Lisa a 'look' and they both turn towards me. "What does that mean?"

"Well, it's all okay. I hardly see Brad and we're never together for more than a few days at time. It's just up and down all the time." I say quietly. 

"Honey, you both need to take time off of work, go reconnect. For a LONG time. At least several weeks. You two are the most gorgeous and passionate couple I've ever met, but you're on dangerous ground." Says Lisa.

I nod and try to hide the fact that my eyes are tearing up. "Oh, Jen, it's going to be fine. We didn't mean to scare you." Says Court as they both hug me. 

"I know, I know! It's just that, you know, we keep saying we're going to have kids and we're just not getting around to it, and it makes me sad seeing you two with your kids and babies and husbands being all family-ish and Brad still acting like he's 20 in college!" I say, completely breaking down.

"Here's my advice." Says Lisa. "Instead of trying to have a baby, why don't you guys stop trying NOT to have one?"