chapter 4

Jen's POV

I hastily throw groceries onto the conveyor belt, trying to ignore the brightly-colored tabloid magazines in the checkout lane. 

"BRAD'S AFFAIR- WHAT WILL JENNIFER SAY?" 

"SPARKS FLY AT BRAD'S NEW MOVIE- WHO'S GONNA TELL JEN?"

"WHAT BRAD REALLY DID WITH HIS CO-STAR"

I pay the checker and grab my bags quickly. I get in the car and are immediately hounded by paparazzi. I nearly run one of them over and get home as quickly as I can. I walk into the kitchen and find Brad eating a cookie and reading the newspaper. 

As soon as I walk in, he shoves the cookie behind him. "I wasn't eating anything!" He says hastily, crumbs flying from his mouth, and I can't help but giggle at his goofiness. 

He swallows and walks over and kisses me on the lips. He tastes like sugar cookies. "We have Oprah's birthday party today, remember?" He says. I nod and he leans in for another kiss. 

Right before our lips meet, I move my head back, and he frowns a little. I do the same thing again and giggle as he tries to capture my lips with his. Finally, he pushes me against the refrigerator and smashes his lips into mine while I laugh into his mouth. 

He can't help but laugh either, I'm giggling madly into his chest. "You little tease." He says, pinching my nose. "Let's go get ready."

I sigh happily and smile as we walk into our bedroom, Brad heading straight for the bathroom to take a shower. It's moments like these that I love, and it reminds me why I married him. 

I undress and lay down on the bed, closing my eyes and relaxing from work. I love my job, but damn, it's tiring. I'm in a half-asleep daze when I feel Brad's lips on my neck and I jolt awake. 

"You need to go take a shower. We have to be there by 7 and it's already 5, plus you have to go through urban renewal." He jokes as he kisses me, and I laugh even more, swatting him on the chest and feeling his muscles. 

I take a quick shower and lay out a green dress to wear. I'm beginning to work on my makeup when Brad walks up to me and stares at me in the mirror. 

"What?" I ask. He has a dreamy look on his face. 

"You're beautiful." He says softly, and my heart skips a beat. I put down my makeup brush and walk over to him. I kiss him, sliding my tongue into his mouth for a few blissful seconds before pulling away and returning to my makeup. 

"You're such a tease, you know that right?" He says, grabbing my arm and spinning me around, making me squeal. He kisses me passionately and the heat increases until I pull away, panting. 

"Honey, we can't right now. It's already 5:45. I don't want to be late." I say as his lips move down to my neck, subconsciously tilting my head back to give him better access. 

"Fine. Joykill." He says playfully, giving me one last peck and going to put on his suit. I can't stop grinning as I put on my makeup and straighten my hair. I finally put on the dress and some shoes and throw some things into a little clutch purse. 

I find Brad sitting on the couch, watching TV. He shuts it off as soon as I walk in and his eyes move up and down my body.  Shivers go down my spine as his gaze flows down my body. "You look... wow." He says. I smile and we walk to the car together. 

We arrive at the hotel and greet Oprah. The party is fabulous, with live music and a dance floor and champagne. The guest list is star-studded, and we sit next to Diane Sawyer the whole night. 

Brad and I finish eating and go to dance. The dance floor is crowded with couples, and the band is playing a smooth, jazzy piece. 

I rest my head against his chest and he wraps his arm protectively around my back, and we sway together with the music. We don't even notice people slowly dispersing from the dance floor. 

After several minutes, we're the last ones on the dance floor, so absorbed in each other that we don't even realize that everyone is watching us. 

The band switches to a mellow instrumental tune and I mash my head farther into Brad's chest. He places a kiss on my hair. I sigh and feel myself falling into the comfortable trance I'm always in when we're together. 

People 'aww' and coo at us, dancing together like we're the only ones in the room.

...

When we get home it's well past midnight and I'm exhausted. I wince as I pull off my heels, my feet crying out in pain. 

Brad comes over with a blanket and glass of wine, wraps me in the blanket, and starts massaging my feet. I sip the wine as he gently kneads his fingers into my sore feet and moan a little, it feels really good. 

"Are you my personal foot masseuse?" I tease, and he laughs. 

"Sure, baby, whatever makes you feel better." He says, poking me in the side and making me squeal and spill the wine all over the place. He places the glass on the table and goes up to put on some music. 

He comes over to me and lays next to me on the couch. Our fingers interlock and he kisses my shoulder and moves in a line up to my ear. 

"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever set my eyes on." He whispers in my ear, and I shiver involuntarily. 

"A tired beautiful woman." I correct him. He just chuckles. "Wanna go to bed?" He asks. I nod. 

He picks me up like a baby and lays me down in bed, immediately climbing in next to me. He wraps his arms around me and I fall asleep, cradled in my true love's arms.