Chapter 3

"Adira." Father snaps as he opens the door to his office and buttons his suit jacket, smoothing the fabric out in a self-soothing action. "Escort our guests around the grounds." I'm guessing you didn't get your way? Poor you. By the look on his features and anger in his eyes, I can only assume it went poorly.

"Of course, Alpha." I bow my head slightly, hiding the disgust at the title before I motion for Ekon and Magnar to follow. We walk down the empty halls of the house, the cold interior, barely breathable. Like always it's miserable here. The sun shines down on the dead grass and Ekon releases a heavy sigh as he rubs his forehead.

"He's intolerable." I snort at the complaint, my eyes scan the landscape as I move towards the path, my hands in my pockets as I breathe in the fresh air.

"I could've told you that." Magnar's brow flickers up, his eyes glimmer amused, the orbs obvious now that I've seen them. He has some pretty silver eyes. "What do you wish to see?" Magnar turns his eyes over the landscape, taking everything into account. Make notes darling, it's the only nice and kept building.

"Take us around the pack lands. We need to get a feel for the place and atmosphere." Magnar speaks up and I turn to head into town.

"Very well, we can start in the heart of the place. You'll meet more people in town." The secluded town really only houses the essentials, even those are on the brink of closure. A grocery store, clothing outlet, hardware store. We have a training facility for rainy days and a school for the children. Not that there are many left. The town opens up with cracked pavement, un-treated sidewalks and a drab appearance.

"What kinds of interactions do pack members have with one another?" Ekon asks as he pauses to take in the town, his calculating gaze peruses the store fronts.

"They walk on eggshells when they aren't inside of their homes. Between low ranked wolves, things are calm, no fights or arguments. Tension only rises when ranked members enter the space, things shut down with fear." I explain honestly, my eyes scan the barren store fronts, the restaurant the only one that looks to be filled with life. It is the hot spot.

"What ranked members cause the most issues?" Magnar addresses me, his eyes bore into mine.

"Alpha and Beta are the biggest antagonizers. Some ranked warriors will cause a bit of a stir, more often than not it's to get in good graces of Alpha and Beta." I shrug indifferently, Ekon arches his brow at me.

"Are you one of them?" I stare at him for a moment before I shrug slowly with a sigh.

"I'm sure I make them uneasy, I try my best to make amends; but at the end of the day? My Father and Anthony are evil, I pray they are put to death, if I fall with them." I stare at him as Nera flashes in my eyes, passionate for my pack. "I know this pack will have a leader they deserve, a good one, appointed by the council." I can't flinch, nor can I back down. This is a battle to save my pack.

"Alright." Ekon accepts my answer for now before he turns to look down the empty street again. "What's your biggest issue with the leaders of the pack?" I'd keep you here for days.

"How they treat the pack members, steal from them, beat them." I shake my head and lean against a lamp post. "There's a lot wrong with this pack, from how they collect a 'protection fee'. Make examples of those who stay outside to play when they walk the streets."

Magnar's brow flicks up as he frowns. "Why are they collecting a fee?"

"To use for their own greed? Keeping the pack trapped and imprisoned would be my guess. You can't escape if you don't have money to feed yourselves, never mind pay the departure fee." I pause and nod towards the clothing store, seeing two employees roaming around, hard at work. "Would you like to talk with some other members?" I nod towards the store, both men glance over in interest.