Chapter 4

"We've had contact with the council; they want to do an in depth, complete investigation." Ekon says as he stares at me, the questions linger in his eyes. It's only been two days since their arrival and they've seen more red flags than they could count. I'm just surprised it took two whole days.

"How does that change things?" I ask as I lean against the railing, watching the pair, inspect the grounds, Magnar now holding a camera, collecting evidence.

"We'll need to talk to every member in a formal interview. There's a trailer coming onto the grounds for interviews." I nod slowly in thought. Sounds reasonable. "We'll need a detailed list of every pack member, their rank, age, job, and how to contact them." I stare at him and nod.

"I can get you that by the end of the day." Father already keeps that on file for his own nefarious reasons. "Is there anything else that I can do to help?" Ekon glances at Magnar as he nods his head towards the grass of the yard.

"Access to the pack finances and paperwork is needed now." Magnar continues to photograph the grounds and my fathers house, taking everything into account.

"Tell me all you need to see, I'll do my best to provide it." Not saying you'll see the correct papers. By now I'm sure Father has begun trading the actual documents for fakes that look far better for him. It'd be in his best interest after all. Tensions have risen considerably within the pack. Father has been on nightly rants of the 'visitors' and any one who's 'dumb' enough to betray him, will face his wrath.

"What have you heard between the Alpha and Beta?" Magnar asks, gaining a look from Ekon who frowns. The investigation is already on the rocks, I'm sure he wants to be careful for what they bring to the council.

"I've heard rumors that there's a punishment due." Punishment, example, same thing to Father. He turns his eyes on me and his brow flicks up, a silent gesture I've become familiar with. So much expression in so little movement. "They're nervous, walking on a bed of glass; tension is rising in the pack. They don't know what to expect right now." Magnar pauses at the entrance to the pack housing district and begins to take photos, a camera now in Ekon's hand to film the neglect.

"Is there a prison on the grounds?" Ekon asks and I nod.

"There's a hold under the pack hall." It's where the trials and meetings are held, easy to clean up when someone loses their temper. Not to mention it instills fear in the pack. To know if they make a wrong move, all they have to do is be brought downstairs, some return, some don't.

"What dealings are done there?" Ekon pauses as he films a run down home, a hole in the roof, covered by a now ragged and torn tarp.

"Meetings, and updates that the members of the pack need to be informed on, increase in protection fee, examples. Whatever Alpha deems necessary in his mind." I offer as I watch him. It's surrounded by a black cloud, like the rest of this pack.

"What is the example?" Magnar asks as he glances at me.

"Rogues on the rare occasion they stumble beyond the border in their madness, mostly it's pack members; there's a tally of who's been used and how many times." I offer as I watch the camera get shut off, Ekon turns to me with a heavy frown.

"I'd like to see that, please. Can you show us the hall?" Ekon asks and I nod.

"Do you have anything else on the examples?" Magnar asks as he walks on my right side, slightly behind me. I wonder if that's his habit.

"Yes, Father likes to record the events, in some cases there is a report that's written up." It's yet another means of his to control and terrorize the pack. My minds distracted by the warmth of Magnar's body so close, his scent teases my nostrils. Now is not the time to be a hussy for your mate. I reprimand Nera as the pack hall comes into view. A guard stands outside the door, guarding it's secrets. I'm guessing they've been up to something.