Chapter 5

"It was delicious Daniel, thank you." I wipe my mouth from the meal and offer the man a kind smile. No surprise it was a masterpiece, like every meal the man cooks.

"You say that every time, Adira." He smiles warmly towards me before he glances towards Magnar and Ekon, his features melting to a more reserved, polite expression. "What did you two want to know?" He asks, cutting straight to the point, not one to beat around the bush.

"We want to get the perspective of the pack members on how the Alpha and Beta treat regular members of the pack." Ronny glances towards me with a frown.

"Margaret said that things were going to change; is the tyrant and his minion going to be taken out of power? He needs to be put to death." Ronny turns to look at me, his eyes glitter. "Are they here to-?" He stops short, making me nod and offer a small smile.

"Yes, they are doing an investigation on all members who hold power, from Alpha to warriors." Daniel pauses as he glances towards me.

"You?" I nod slowly, Ekon sits back, watching everything like a hawk.

"Me included, I'm no different than they are." I say gently watching as Daniel stares, Ronny, the more vocal partner shakes his head with a huff.

"That's nonsense." Ekon clears his throat, redirecting the conversation.

"Can you two describe the type of encounters you've had personally with the Alpha and Beta?" Ekon asks, Daniel's features glower as his eyes burn passionately, flickering to his wolf's.

"They murdered our children. They took two innocent, precious lives. To prove a point! They are evil monsters." His voice breaks in his upset, Ronny grabs his hand, drawing his attention. Magnar glances at me with a deep frown.

"They adopted two orphaned kids from another pack, four years ago. After a year Alpha took it upon himself to give an ultimatum." Such an awful day. My mouth dries in memory as I stare at them. "He took their lives in the worst way he could; they had to watch as they died." I explain quietly as Daniel tries to recover, tears leak from his eyes as he stares at Ekon. Magnar is forced to look back, the fire in his eyes burn white.

"They are evil; this isn't a healthy, thriving pack. This is a death sentence, rogues have it better. The only ones who smile anymore are the sadists." Ronny explains with tears in his eyes, his voice tight with emotional pain. A fresh start for this pack is needed desperately. It's not going to be easy. It'll be years before the pack can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

"How often are members killed?" Magnar asks as he leans back in his chair, struggling to portrays sense of calm. I stay silent as Daniel releases a cold laugh.

"Do you mean by someone? Or by themselves?" Ekon glances at me as if to confirm.

"There is a high suicide rate within the pack." I explain quietly, my stomach churning with unease. The mental calm is shattered as Father forces a link between us. 'I need to speak with you, now. Come to the hold.' The link shatters just as quickly as it stabbed into my mind, the brutal invasion leaves a painful ache that throbs.

"How does that affect pack morale?" Ekon asks as he glances between the pair. My chair scrapes the floor as I stand earning glances from the table.

"Adira?" Ronny asks with a frown.

"I've been summoned by Alpha. I trust you two can find your way back to your quarters? I'll be able to get you all you need by morning at the latest." I inform them, Magnar stares at me with a questioning gaze.

"Do we need to-" I shake my head as I tuck my chair back under the table.

"That's not necessary, please continue on. I want this to be a strong case." There's no way Father will get off of the hook, I won't let it. I turn towards the mated couple and smile, seeing them hold their hands, their eyes shift with unease. "Please tell them all you can. Don't worry for what happens, this is the last stand." Ronny stares at me, having a good guess for what's to come in my near future.