Chapter 7

The next day was a struggle to start, the warm, comfortable cocoon Magnar had created was far too enticing to get out of bed easily. His warmth and sparks ignited my body and kept my heart rate up. Without sex it was the best I was going to get. I stare at the list of names given to me. 25 down, 50 more to go. The list is slowly starting to be whittled down. It's going to be a long time coming. "Thank you for your time Mr. Malcolm." Ekon says as he opens the door for Levi Malcolm, a 31 year old pack warrior.

Levi nods with his hands in his pockets and heads down the steps, without a glance elsewhere. He's not the worst the pack has to offer. He struggles to find his place in the pack, his mate was killed before they ever got a chance to bond. Can't have distractions from patrol. Father prefers his warriors to be free of mates and family. Keeps their loyalties strong to him. I can only shake my head as Deanna steps up to the steps, wringing her fingers nervously.

"Adira?" She asks barely above a whisper.

"Hello Deanna. How are you today?" I ask as I stare at her, her skin awfully pale. It's been hard on everyone.

"Nervous... What's going to happen?" She stops on the steps and bites her lip.

"We're going to go on inside and have an interview about pack business and day to day life." Magnar offers her as he stands off to the side. She glances at him nervously upset before she stares at the trailer.

"Won't..." She looks back at me, her eyes focused on my torso.

"No Deanna. This trailer is specialized. Alpha, or anyone else, can't open a pack link while you are inside. You're safe." I murmured quietly, she met my eyes, hers water slightly.

"What happens-" Magnar clears his throat and garners her attention.

"Alpha is no longer with the ability of a pack mind link. Things are changing." He reassured her gently. It takes a moment for Deanna to respond.

"O-oh... OK." She whispers and stares at Ekon nervously.

"It's ok Deanna, they're here to help us." I murmur, she nods as Ekon waves her inside the trailer. A very nice trailer, the inside refurbished for their purposes. A sturdy table with chairs, a computer off to the side. It's cozy and perfect for what they need. Deanna walks inside with one last glance back towards me and I offer her a small smile. Thankful that the door closes, away from her pitying scrutiny.

"How are you feeling?" Magnar asks as he shields me from the sun, his shadow blocks the sun and I fight the urge to lean into him.

"I'm fine." I murmur quietly, my heart rate is still slow, my body aches with every movement. Fire licks at my skin, the cling wrap over my wounds saves me from the painful chafe. Thankfully Magnar helped tape it on.

"That's a lie and you know it." He growls softly as his eyes scan the grounds around us.

"It's all you're gonna get in the open." I mutter and check the list. "Who do we need to call for interviews next?" Magnar stares at me, eyes narrowed as he surveys my features.

"We still need to have a formal interview with a large portion of the housing district. Who do you think on this list would be easiest to have a conversation with?"

"Yesterday's show is going to cause problems for open conversation. No matter what, it'll be hard." He stares at me for a moment before I drop my gaze with a sigh.

"Mr. and Mrs. Gerald would be a couple to interview. They're elderly but have quite a few marks against their file." I offer and he sighs.

"Alright, will they need a vehicle transport?" I debate for a moment before I nod.