𝐈𝐗. CHEMICAL

CHAPTER NINECHEMICAL

CHAPTER NINE
CHEMICAL

§ § §

Although I was still very bitter about not winning the match, Harry wouldn't let me refuse the party that was being held in the Gryffindor common room. Everyone was proud and in awe of Ron and they were ecstatic about winning. It was a fun environment, so I didn't mind the red decorations as much as I usually did.

"Brilliant, he was," I finally admitted as I stood with Harry and Hermione in the crowd. Ron was in the middle, calling to and accepting cheers from the crowd.

"Well, only because of Harry," Hermione sighed and shook her head, looking at him. "You shouldn't have done it."

"What's she on about?" I looked between the two.

"Harry put the Felix Felicis in Ron's drink this morning. For luck," Hermione told me, and I rounded on my brother. 

"Now he's gone on to think he's some Quidditch sensation when it was just your bloody potion!" I exclaimed, unworried, knowing no one would hear my over the cheers and chants.

"Isn't he?" Harry grinned, and pulled a vial out of his pocket. A full vial of Felix Felicis.

"You didn't put it in," Hermione said slowly, then looked at Ron. "Ron only thought you did." Harry nodded.

I laughed a little and turned to look back at Ron as well. Lavender brown had pulled him off the platform, and without warning, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately.

My jaw dropped open and my eyebrows shot up. My eyes only widened when I saw Ron return the kiss instead of pushing her away. Hermione turned and made her way through the crowd, out of the common room.

I looked to Harry, who was laughing at Ron, and hit his arm. "I thought... I thought he and Hermione..." I trailed off.

"I did too," Harry muttered.

"I thought Ron would've realized his feelings by now..." I trailed off again, shocked by what I just witnessed.

"He's an idiot. Come on, let's go find Hermione," harry grabbed my arm and pulled me through the crowd to where our friend had went.

We entered the corridor and didn't see her. But we heard someone crying down a set of stairs. Harry looked at me, and I nodded, leading him towards the staircase.

I don't know how to handle emotions! He exclaimed panickedly.

Just let me do the talking, if talking needs to be done. You just have to be there for her, alright? I glared, and he nodded.

Hermione was sitting at the bottom of the staircase that opened into another room, birds from a charm she'd been working on floating around above her. I walked over and sat down on one side of her, Harry on the other. 

"Charm spell," She said, her voice thick with the sound of crying. "Just practicing."

"They're brilliant. Better than Harry and I could've done," I said lightly, sparing her a small smile and only knowing fully well what it's like to care deeply about a boy.

"How does it feel, Harry?" Hermione asked after a moment of silence, sniffing as a few more tears fell. "When you see Dean with Ginny?"

"I- uh, wha-" Harry stuttered. I don't even think he himself had realized the feelings he had for Ginny. 

"I know," Hermione said, "I see the way you look at her. You're my best friend."

A sudden laughter filled the hallway. My head snapped up and my eyes widened. No no no, not right now, not here, I thought repeatedly.

Sure enough, Ron and Lavender ran into the room, looking a bit disheveled. Lavender had a firm grip around Ron's arm.

"Oops," Lavender's obnoxious voice said, and I glared at her and Ron. "I think this room's taken." She ran off, but Ron pulled his arm away and asked,

"What's with the birds?"

Hermione stood, also glaring at the red head, and said, "Oppugno." The birds that had been fluttering around suddenly when hurling at Ron, who just managed to duck out of the way as the birds hit the door and disappeared and clouds of feathers.

Ron looked at the feathers and then to Hermione, who took a deep breath. He looked down to me, and I just shook my head disappointedly at him. He left, going after Lavender.

Hermione closed her eyes and sunk back down onto the stair in between Harry and I. I frowned and held her hand as she let more tears fall, resting her shoulder on Harry's head.

"It feels like this," Harry said, answering her question about Ginny. I sighed and stood up as Hermione wrapped her arms around Harry's arm. 

I walked over to the window and leant against the edge, staring out into the chilly early November air. My eyes drifted up to the Astronomy tower, where I saw another figure doing the same as I. Just standing and taking in the night.

And there was no mistaking that striking blonde hair. It was Draco Malfoy.

The next day brought nothing better. I half expected to wake up and have it all had been a really bad nightmare. But it wasn't. When I met up with Harry and Ron in the hallway, Hermione had already gone to class, and Ron and Lavender were a "we".

"Well, I can't help it if she's got her knickers in a twist!" Ron exclaimed defensively.

"You're such a daft cow, you are!" I seethed. "You know you don't like Lavender, you're using her for snogging purposes. But Hermione! Ron, I just really can't believe you're so blind..." I shook my head and let out a deep breath.

"Hey, what Lav and I have, well, let's just say... there' no stopping it," He grinned and I made a revolted face.

"Disguting, that is. Truly," I scoffed.

"It's chemical," Ron continued. "Will it last? Who knows?"

"I do! It won't, because you've got no real feelings for her-" I tried again, but Harry just put his hand in front of me and shook his head. There was no reasoning with Ron. "I'm leaving. See you two idiots later."

"Hey- I'm not an idiot!" Harry called after me as I walked off.

I just smirked over my shoulder and left for class.