𝐗𝐗. HELPLESS

CHAPTER TWENTYHELPLESS

CHAPTER TWENTY
HELPLESS

§ § §

Harry and I stumbled with the weight of Dumbledore as we landed on the top of the Astronomy tower. "We need to get you to the hospital wing, sir," Harry said instantly. "To Madam Pomfrey."

We stopped at the steps leading up to the platform, sitting Dumbledore down on the upper one. "No," He told us. "Severus. Severus is who we need. Wake him, tell him what happened. Speak to no one else."

"Sir, are you sure-" I tried, frowning.

"Severus," Dumbledore said firmly.

I shared another frown with Harry, but we started walking to the stairs leading down. We stopped when a door opened in the distance, looking back at Dumbledore.

The headmaster was standing, now. "Hide yourselves below," He told us. "Don't speak or be seen by anybody without my permission. Whatever happens, it's imperative you two stay below. Harry, Giovanna, do as I say."

Another door opened, this one on the other side of the Astronomy tower. Harry and I looked at Dumbledore, not wanting to leave him. "Trust me," The headmaster nodded. He repeated it once more, and Harry took my hand, leading me down the stairs.

We stayed on the landing right below Dumbledore, able to see what was going on through lines in the floor. I strained my neck, trying to see who had just walked in.

"Good evening, Draco," Dumbledore said.

My eyes widened, and Harry grabbed me from behind, wrapping his arm around me, his other hand covering my mouth so I couldn't call out. "What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" Dumbledore asked.

"Who else is here?" Draco demanded. I nodded to Harry, who slowly let go. I kept silent, holding my breath as I peered up at Draco through the lines. "I heard you talking." He had his wand raised at Dumbledore.

"I talk aloud to myself; I find it extraordinary useful," Dumbledore replied. Harry led me over to the rings in the center of the floor of the tower, which gave us a clear view of the scene above us.

Draco shifted his grip on his wand, holding it up tightly. I bit on my lip, willing myself to stay silent instead of rushing o his aid.

"Draco, you are not an assassin," Dumbledore said softly.

"How do you know what I am?" The blonde exclaimed. "I've done things that would shock you!"

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that in return she'd bear a cursed necklace to me?" Dumbledore said knowingly. "Like replacing a bottle of mean with one laced with poison and almost killing Ronald Weasley and Giovanna Potter?"

Draco winced at the mention of this and shook his head a little. "He trusts me! I was chosen!" He lowered his wand and pulled up the sleeve in his left arm.