Vampire Guardian: Chaper 23.

Chapter 23

They Own This Town - Flora Cash

I called Collin once I was able to clean myself up from vomiting. Once he came, he cleaned Mittens remains for me as I sat on the couch. I held a mug of tea, trying to calm myself from crying. Collin comes back inside after searching around the perimeter of my place.

"I didn't sense anybody." He starts, sitting on the couch next to me. I stared ahead emotionless, running my fingers along the hot mug.

"I can't believe that happened." I reply, still shocked from before. "Where's Peter?" I add, my voice shaking when I do.

Collin looks away and sighs. There's something they both aren't telling me. Something Peter is still holding on. I already know what they both are which is the biggest secret of all, what else is so bad as that?

"He has to handle something."

"Where's Peter? He promised me he was going to protect me. Now Roman is able to come inside whenever he wants!" I complain, placing the mug on the coffee table.

"I know Scarlett, I know. He had to go to Mississippi but he'll be back in no time." Mississippi? Why is he going there?

"Have you spoken to him?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No I haven't, he likes to keep everything... private."

"You're his best friend though you should know." Collin shrugs, leaning back on the couch.

"We are vampires, love. Don't have to worry much about each other." I grin, kind of understanding that. If you are immortal and powerful, why worry? "How's Karley?"

"She's good I guess. Always talking about you." I laugh and he gives a cheeky grin.

"Oh yeah? I should stop by later at night."

"Honestly you should. She loves the attention." I take a sip of my tea before putting it back down.

"I will. I just want to make sure you are safe here first. Peter will kill me if something happens to you."

"Clearly he doesn't care now if he left." I mumble, thinking about Mittens. My throat tightens and I try not to cry. Collin places his hand on my thigh and I turn to look at him.

"I promise you, he cares. He cares deeply." My body grows warm when he says that and I can't help but smile. "He'll be back soon." I nod in assurance, feeling a bit better.

"Did you tell him?" He shakes his head.

"No,"
~•~

Collin stayed overnight to make sure Roman doesn't come in. Although he said he was going to see Karley, he said it was better off he just chills at my place.

The following morning I went to my classes and went on throughout my day. Sometimes I'd get the chills, feeling like I'm being stalked.

Peter texted me though, told me he will be coming back at night. My heart raced, debating whether to tell him what happened last night.

Eventually I asked him if he'll be coming over my place. I bit my thumb nervously, waiting for a response.

Meet me in the town of Patchogue by the bars. I'll let you know when I land, he wrote.

So he did fly to Mississippi. I don't respond to his message but put my phone back in my backpack. I can't distract myself in class anymore or I'll fail. Karley and Brad were going to their cousins house so I stayed home waiting.

Peter never got back to me once he said he'll be in town around seven. It's seven-thirty now. I wait on the couch, curled up in a ball under a blanket, watching videos of Mittens. Collin was nice enough to clean my carpet and the entire mess in the living room once I went to bed.

Now I sit alone, waiting for a purring cat to hop on my lap but there's nothing. I break down in tears, looking at my wallpaper on my cell phone. Mittens is curled up in a ball in her bed. I glance to my side and her bed is empty. I muffle my cries in my hand, silencing my screams. It hurts so much that she's gone, that she was killed by a vampire.

My pet cat was probably waiting at the door, assuming it is me. She waited and once Roman came in, she grew terrified. She died a painful death. Something I am not able to fix. I glance at my messages with Peter and sigh.

Where are you? I text.

Eventually I get up, changing into jeans and a sweatshirt. I grab my car keys and I head to my car. Collin told me to stay still but I can't be alone in my home. All I can think of is Mittens. I head to Patchogue to try and find Peter.

I watch the young adults walk by after jumping from bar to bar. I wipe my eyes when I think of Mittens again. The churning pain in my stomach is still there knotting and knotting tighter until I can't breathe.

I place the water bottle I brought with me on the ground besides my feet. I wipe my face and rub my wet fingers on my jeans. I turn when I see a man approaching me slowly. My heart races and I try not to hope it's a vampire I am coming across.

He leans against the building wall next to me and sighs. I don't make a move but I watch him cautiously. He must be in his early thirties, tall and slim. He has a trimmed beard and long black hair.

He reaches in his pocket and takes out a pack of cigarettes. I stare at the packet that he offers in front of me. He flips the lid open and about half are gone.

"Want a smoke?" He asks after clearing his throat. I stare at the deadly sticks and I shake my head.

"I don't smoke." I simply say so he can at least walk away. I don't know what he's doing but I don't want to get into any problems. I'm just here trying to find Peter. He grunts and takes one out, sticking it between his lips.

He puts the pack away in his leather jacket and lights the end of the stick. I watch him inhale and the end of it lighting to a beautiful orange.

He pulls it out of his mouth and blows out the smoke. I stare ahead as I feel his eyes gazing up and down on me.

"What," I snap and he shrugs.

"Kids your age would take the cigarette if I offered one to them." He flicks the butt of the cigarette and ashes fall on the ground.

"Sorry if I brought your hopes up." I sarcastically say and he chuckles.

"What are you doing here all alone? Bars are up at the corner, here is where the sketchy stuff happens." I look around, realizing that I am alone with a man in a dark street. The bars are all in one street, where the excitement is usually held Downport. "Yet you are alone so you are either bailing from a party or going to none."

"Looking for a friend." I look up and down the street. I wrinkle my nose at the smell of the smoke.

"What's this friends name? Maybe I know." My lips curve to a smile but it vanishes when he looks at me.

"I highly doubt it."

"Oh come' on doesn't hurt to say the name." I hesitate and contemplate on walking away and leaving him all alone. However, I know how to fend for myself so there can be hope in finding him.

"Peter Harris." He chuckles and drops the rest of the cigarette on the ground. He stomps on it so it stops burning.

"Look at that. I do know Peter." My eyes light up in shock and I gain full attention to him.

~~~~

New chapter!

I hope you guys enjoyed this with a cliffhanger in the end. Mwuahhaha....

Flora Cash are my favorite! I was suppose to see them this month but it got cancelled because of Covid :(

vote

comment

follow me :)