Chapter 4

"I'm so tired.." Haru sighed, the current stance of his body living up to his recent statement. "Maybe if ya gave me some of your load, you wouldn't be complaining like that," you commented after hands on the pocket of your beige trenchcoat as you three ventured out on the city late at night.

"I told you this already. You're still recovering so no heavy work for you 'til next week." A few days have already passed since your last attempt and you were more than sure that your body was at its most optimal state, but no matter how much you tried to make it clear to him, it seemed like he had his ears shut and refuses to listen to you. Whatever, you like him doting on you anyways.

"I get it, I get it. But Kambe?" You called out to the one who has been silent this whole time. His eyes were now locked at you, and this subtle act of his was enough for you to continue your next statement. You took the other bag he was holding, much to his surprise. And as soon as you take his hand out, clasping it in-between yours, Haru already knew where this was going.

"I've been holding back since you're like my apprentice.. But," you trailed off, using a finger to trail down the lines of his palm lazily as you flashed him a smile you hoped was persuasive enough. "These fragile and delicate fingers of yours.. would you like to strangle me using them?" And as soon as you finished, you immediately felt the familiar feeling of a palm striking the back of your head. "Oy Haru! What was that for?!" You grunted as you rubbed the back of your head using your free hand.

Haru remained silent as he squinted his eyes at you. Gulping, you tried to appease to him by saying, "Oh, I was only joking of course!" Even though you're not. With that look he was giving you, you knew he was close to opening his mouth and reprimanding you once more as if that was his hobby. If this continued on any longer, you would no longer see him as your friend but, rather, as your mom instead.

The trio continued walking, only pausing because of your little moment awhile ago. Although Kambe still looked quite befuddled, stretched out his hand towards yours, prolly wanting to retrieve the bag you stole from him awhile ago. "I'll carry them," he said, and you didn't argue with him, you just handed him the bag, letting your fingers make contact with his. "Don't forget my offer-" And you stopped yourself once you felt the piercing gaze of Haru drilling holes into the back of your head. Yeah.. Maybe you should keep yourself from doing this for now.

Not long after that, you three passed two entertainers. Deciding to not watch them, you hoped that this would enough to save you from the second-hand embarrassment. You didn't notice that Haru was lagging behind. You were about to snap him out of it, but Kambe beat you before you had the chance to.

"Let's go."

"You can head back first."

And even if you didn't like their performance, you couldn't just leave him all alone, so you chose to saunter towards him and act as a company. "Those two, they are doing their best for a living." And as Haru said that, Kambe was already dropping money on the hats set out by the performers. "It's not about money." Haru's eye was already twitching once he saw this rich kid using his money so recklessly once again.

Your brown-haired friend continued with his speech, only to be proven wrong once the two asshats saw that this underling of yours gave them ten thousand yen. "Hey, your money is only making them lazier." You just thanked the Gods that Haru decided to switch the scolding from you to the blue-eyed male.

"Hey, you scoundrels. Ya lot are using mescaline, aren't you?" You neared the two of them once your nose smelled the scent of the familiar hallucinogen. "I'm not in my best mood today considering that I'm tired and I'm feeling quite grumpy. So do me a favor and follow us," as much as they wanted to make a move for it, once they saw the menacing gaze and grin you gave them, they were far too intimidated to go against you.
.
.
.
Haru felt his blood boiling just by watching that Kambe use his wealth to get through the mind of that drug-user. Seriously, money isn't all there is in this world. He could've empathized with the criminal instead rather than resorting to that kind of method!

"How outrageous," and even though it hasn't been that long since he met the new chief inspector, he already knew that it would take him a millennium just for him to even see that guy as somehow decent.

"Tsk, if he could just learn from Y/n-" And the hopeful eyes of Haru just a second ago warped into a disappointed (but not surprised) one once he entered Investigation Room B.

Yeah, you weren't really the kindest nor the greatest when it came to questioning either. There was a noose around the man's neck, the rope tied up to the ceiling as he stood on the chair, with your feet threatening to kick the seat away. Well, it was his fault anyway. You already tried acting nice but he didn't give you the answers that you wanted and needed. You could've stuffed wasabi up his nose by now so you think you're actually being kind of generous as of the moment.

"Eyyy. I just want to get this over with so just spill the beans. If only you gave in when I was still being generous, then things wouldn't probably end up like this," you tsk-ed at him as you looked at him, making sure to appear as condescending as you can be. "I'll count to three. I'm sure you already know what this means. One.." You started, trying to drag it as long as it could. "Two.." One last number.

"Th-"

"It was Mr. Isezaki!"

"Oh! Good boy!" You were about to help him down, but due to your sloppy movements, it seemed liked you tipped of the chair instead, making the male gasp as he tried to not suffocate because of the rope restricting his airway as he thrashed around due to your 'slight' mistake slash accident.

"Ah, my bad."
.
.
.
You exited the room first before Kambe, and you were quick enough to save the dude so there weren't any repercussions for you to be worried about. Haru just sighed for the umpteenth time. While he dislikes how Kambe does his job, he can't say that he approves of your ways either. "Man, the effort I exerted just to make him sing," you lolled your head back as you leaned against the walls.

"You did a great job, L/n!" Kamei blindly complimented you, all too focused on your outward appearance. Even though there were bags under your eyes, one couldn't deny that you still looked awfully pretty. Man, he was too shallow.

"Thanks-" Your blood ran cold once you realized Haru spectated how you basically, uh, coaxed the man to make him talk- As much as possible, you didn't like him seeing you like this. It's not like you were ashamed of yourself acting that way or anything, you just didn't like the admonitions he hurled at your ears non-stop once he saw you doing something of the likes. All you can say was 'oops'.

"Nice seeing ya there, my lovely Haru!" Even though that softened the reproaching gaze he fixated on you, you knew that that wasn't enough. You just chanted 'thank you's' inwardly once you saw Kambe exiting from the door- which meant that 'Haru's Rebuking Towards Y/n 101' has been put on hold.

God bless this man.

____
a/n:
i'm literally feeling so sleepy rn that im starting to lose awareness of mah surroundings. sorry if there were mistakes, i'll be sure to fix em all soon. i just wanted to give u guys anotha update and i hope that y'all like it! <3