Chapter 14

Making yourself at home, you neared Haru's bed the moment you entered his apartment. "I'm so tired that breathing is a chore right now," you complained, voice intangible because you were lying face down on his mattress. The sheets were recently washed and you could easily detect the smell of laundry detergent used.

"You barely carried anything," Haru retaliated as he placed all the things that you three bought in the grocery on the kitchen counter. This would've been a fun apartment visit, had Kambe not opened his mouth to say what was on his mind.

"Do you really live here?" And you didn't know if he said that out of mockery or pure curiosity, but seeing how he lacked some common sense regarding a normal civilian's life, you'd give him the benefit of the doubt and just assume that it was the latter. But of course, Haru didn't take this too lightly as you did.

"You're annoying!"

"We need to cook the rice first. You two, go over there and help me cut the carrots and potatoes." Leaving you alone with that pompous bastard was the last thing on his bucket list, but he'd make his intentions too obvious if he was in close proximity with you all the time while you stayed here in his apartment, so he had to compromise. Especially with your quick-wittedness, the moment you noticed how weird he was acting, you'd immediately point it out and tease him just to get a good laugh out of it.

"Do I really have to?" You only stood up since Kato had pulled you out of the comforts of his bed and dragged you towards the kitchen to assist him. "Thought this was your payment to me for-" Seeing the sharp look he shot towards you, you held your hands out in front of you protectively and instinctively zipped your mouth.

Defeated, you held your hands out to him, and at once, he had dropped the carrot for you to peel on your palm.

You and Kambe were at the other counter, doing what Kato had assigned to you two. You swiftly peeled the carrots using a knife you saw lying around and it was taking every ounce of strength from you as you struggled to stop yourself from slitting your throat. Kato wouldn't exactly like it if blood had spilled on his apartment's floor, plus, you wanted to end your own life without inconveniencing other people so you had to put your plans now to a halt and attempt doing it later when you were left to your own devices.

"Hurry up or our dinner will be very late," Kato reprimanded Kambe as he saw the latter taking his time to cut the potato. "Cut him off some slack. This is probably his first time making his own dinner," you sluggishly defended the poor male who seemed like he was on the verge of cutting his fingers due to his inexperience.

And he did.

"First aid kit," Kambe implored, but Haru had shut him down. "I don't have that kind of thing. Just lick it," Haru said as he diverted his attention from cooking before returning to the task at hand.

"Let me see," you beckoned for him to place his hands on yours, and after he did, you inspected the cut only for you to see that it wasn't even that big.

So you brought the injured thumb to your lips and then proceeded to lick it as your eyes met his.

From an outsider's viewpoint, this was innocuous enough. But from Kambe's perspective, it almost seemed... erotic? He was a grown man not indifferent to sensuality. He was constantly chased due to others seeing him as your run-of-the-mill rich businessman and some had even been brave enough to have a go at getting in his pants.

The way you looked at him was mischievous enough, telling him that you were well aware of what you were doing. His body was starting to betray his mind as he cupped your cheeks using the remaining fingers on his hand with the cut.

You were a bold woman who wasn't afraid of making advances to those whom you deem alluring, so it would be out of character for you not to make a daring move, wouldn't it?