viii. Killer Queen

eight killer queen

eight killer queen

VANITY WAS NOT A WORD SHE WOULD ASSOCIATE WITH HERSELF. She never cared too much about looks, or seeming perfect. Delilah Morgan had it all; she had the blonde curls, the pretty smile, the grades. Boys tripped over their feet looking at her, and from the outside world Delilah Morgan was perfect. Lux never had people expecting perfection from her.

         She was the girl with the wasted mother. Who took all her potential and shoved it out the window in favor of getting pregnant too young. From those ashes, Lux came and made the best out of what she had. No one demanded perfection from her, and Lux never made them. She lived, pretty enough, and good enough. Alive enough.

         Vampire Lux cared about what people thought of her, though.

         At first it was a panic; a scramble for everyone to think nothing happened over summer. Just a girl who stayed away in New York, living out her mother's dreams, not a girl who went from a fast beating heart to a still one. Now it felt like she always wore a mask. Lux Morgan the Human went to school, Lux Morgan the Human spent time with her friends – so human she was.

         The mask came off with two people, originally. The Salvatore brothers took her mask and threw it to the ground. Not discarding their own, she wasn't a fool to believe they were as vulnerable with her as she was with them. Damon proved that sufficiently. But it was so easy to let them in, at least in ways she couldn't be honest with others.

         They understood the struggles of vampirism. Damon let her whine about her lost future until he betrayed her, and then Stefan shared his own struggles to relate to her. She wasn't alone, but she couldn't be honest all the time either.

         There was a world of humans out there she had to keep pretending for.

         Elena didn't count in that category anymore.

         She didn't know if it was unwise to tell her. If that was a rash decision made her desire to connect with her friend again in ways she couldn't since her death. Lower the mask with another person – with Elena. Someone she's known her whole life.

         Of course, after confessing to her, Elena asked for some time. She understood, but it was still a bitter pill to swallow. Elena couldn't look at her after, and she feared what would happen at school. She broke up with Stefan over this, so what would it mean for their friendship? But she couldn't keep lying either, not now that Elena knew about vampires in general.

         Sitting at her vanity, she wondered how long it would take before she crumbled. What was a life with her friends and uncle if she just lied to them forever? How could she keep that secret? But what would happen if she told them?