ix. Birth to Death

nine birth to death

nine birth to death

(not feeling epic)

LUX BARELY EVER SLEPT WHEN SHARING A BED WITH CAROLINE. Caroline, for all her beauty, was an obnoxious snorer and tossed and turned like she was being possessed all night. Many times Lux snuck out of bed and went to the couch and the sheriff found her there in the morning, gently waking up the teenager and shooing her back to Caroline's bed before she woke up.

         Caroline stilled moved around, kicked, snored, but none of it mattered. Lux wasn't going to sleep anyway. As Caroline's heartbeat echoed in her ears, she could recall Elena's. The smell of Elena's blood, her heart beating so quickly, how tasty it all was. She felt like an alcoholic smelling liquor, needing it to survive.

         And when she closed her eyes, she saw Vicki. Vicki, in the same boat as herself. Turned without permission, trying to find her way with minimal guidance. Lost and newly addicted to blood, needing more. Vicki, who she killed.

         She wasn't a stranger to death, Delilah Morgan made sure of that, nor was she a stranger to killing. Months of feeding and burying bodies covered that. But she was a stranger to killing someone she knew, a stranger to killing in front of others, letting them in on the monster she had become.

         Elena and Jeremy saw. They knew. And now here she was, sharing a bed with Caroline, skipping out on her date with Matt, looking at her cleaned hands that held Vicki's life. Her head rested on Caroline's pillow, staring up at the ceiling of a room she knew well, feeling unwelcome. Everyone around her was normal, and she was the outlier. The one who no longer belonged.

         Caroline stirred, her breath evening out until Lux knew she was awake. It took a little longer for Caroline's eyes to open, groaning at the onslaught of sunlight. "God, who let me drink that much?"

         Lux snorted softly. "I don't think we could've stopped you even if we wanted to."

         "My head," Caroline cradled her face.

         Taking pity, Lux uncovered herself and got out of bed. "I'll be back with some water and Advil."

         "You're a saint."

         Padding down the stairs, she was relieved that the sheriff had already gone to work. She listened to Liz' shower, get dressed, and make herself coffee before heading out the door two hours ago.

         "Here you go," she handed the cup to Caroline, who gulped it down with the pills.

         "I feel disgusting," Caroline grimaced, pulling away from the glass, "God, I need a shower and an amazing smoothie bowl breakfast. How are you not feeling like death?"