Chapter 6

[Sonic Boom Universe]
{Sonic's P.O.V.}
"Hey... Is everything alright...?" Tails sat beside me on the couch and gave me a plate of chili dogs. "You've been silent all day."

"I'm fine..." I shook my head, it was late at night so we were both in his house. 

"You know you can talk to me." He smiled softly at me and rested back on the couch. "Sonic and I are really close." 

I chuckled softly at that and nodded. "Yeah, same goes for me..." I looked down at the food and lowered my ears. "I just... Feel guilty..."

"Guilty? Why is that?" He looked at me and ate an apple. 

"I wasn't supposed to be here..." I sighed. "Shadow had told me not to go in the portal... I tried several times... But I didn't listen... And now he's dead worried about me... Without a way to communicate..." My voice was getting lower and lower. I felt bad, I really did. I just wanted to see him again and hug him. 

This is the fourth time I've got stuck like this. All the times I made it back, Shadow was exhausted, depressed, worried, and furious. All of that at the same time.

It always breaks my heart.

"I understand how you feel." Tails shook his head and patted my back. "I promise I'll find a way to get you back to your house in no time. You have my word." He smiled softly and raised his hand as he put the other on his chest.

"Thanks, buddy." I nodded with a slight smile. "I know you will. I trust you." I grabbed a chili dog and slowly started eating.

"I'm going to sleep. You should too after you finish eating."

"I will. Thank you." I nodded and put the plate down once I ate the last chili dog. I laid on the couch and covered myself with the blanket. I hugged the pillow Tails gave me and closed my eyes.

~~~
It's been an hour, an hour of suffering.

Shadow was the only thing in my head. The only thing I could think about.

I kept tossing and turning, the temperature in my body never stayed the same. The one time it's too warm, the other it's too cold.

The worst part is that, because it was only me and my thoughts, my brain started making up the worst scenarios about what will happen when I go back.

For example, when I step out of the postal, I'll see Shadow holding hands or even kissing someone else.

Or, I won't see Shadow at all. He'll be exhausted from the nightmares and get killed at GUN, or at a mission.

Or, he will break up with me because of what I did.

All of them brought tears to my eyes, knowing that if any of these things happen, I'm the only one to blame.

~~~
"Morning Buddy."

My ear flickered when I heard a familiar voice say after the door opened. "You called me?"

"Yes, I wanted you to bring me these from the village. Just give the list to the cashier and carry the things here. They are too heavy for me and I'm too busy to leave my house. Can you bring them to me?" Tails asked as he talked lowly, probably thinking that I was asleep.

When did I even fall asleep...?

I slowly sat up and stretched with a low groan then opened my eyes and gasped. 

"Knuckles?!" I looked at Knuckles then at Tails and rubbed my eyes to make sure it wasn't just my brain messing with me. There is no way this is Knuckles. There is no. Way. 

He was way taller than the one from my universe, his arms were wider than Tails' head and is legs were tiny! He took the "I skip leg day" joke to the next level. 

"Sonic? Did you do something to your quills?" Knuckles raised a brow when he saw me. Why does he sound so stupid?!

"Uhhh..." I stared at him at a loss of words. There's no way this is Knuckles. I glanced at Tails who nodded at me telling me to go along with it so that's what I did. "Yeah, do you like it?"

"Meh. You look shorter like this, but maybe it helps you run faster." He shrugged and looked at Tails. "What did you want me to do again?" 

Tails sighed and lowered his ears. "Go to the village and give this to the cashier." He said slowly and clearly as Knuckles looked at him with an intense look, like he was using all his brainpower to under what he was saying.

"Got it." He nodded and looked at the list as he stayed quiet then looked back yup at Tails. "And then where do I get them?" He asked in genuine confusion, making Tails sigh and me chuckle. 

"Bring them here." Tails said, he sounded like he'd given up on life. 

It was hilarious. 

"Okay. I'll see you later." Knuckles nodded and waved at him and I then walked outside. When he closed the door I started laughing, making Tails chuckle.

"Isn't our Knuckles similar to the Knuckles at your universe?" He asked me and walked to me with a plate of eggs and bacon. He sat beside me and gave me the plate. 

I thanked him and started eating. "No, he's a lot different. WAY different." I shook my head as I chuckled. "And smart."

"Really?" He asked surprised and I nodded. "Do you have a picture of him?" He asked again and looked at my phone that was on the coffee table. I chuckled and nodded then grabbed my phone then looked at my gallery for any pictures of Knuckles. The first one I found is one Tails took of us while we were fighting, next to a selfie of both me and Knuckles bruised as Tails smiled, standing between us. "Here."

"Is that Knuckles...?" He took the phone and looked at the phone in shock. 

"Yep."

"And is that me?" He pointed at Tails on the second picture. 

"Yep."

"I'm so... Cute." He chuckled softly and gave me my phone back. "And Knuckles looks a lot better like this, but he also looks mad."

"You have no idea." I shook my head and put the plate down when I was finished eating. "It's so easy to get him mad. But he's still dumb. He's gotten fooled by Eggman so many times." I laughed. "Which gets him even madder."

I continued talking to him about the silly mistakes Knuckles has made and how he is, when I heard a loud explosion then Amy shouting from outside. 

"Tails! Eggman is attacking!!" She opened the door as she panted. "We have to go now! Knuckles and Sticks are holding him back, but they won't last long on their own...!"

"I'm coming!" Tails quickly stood up and looked at me. "Stay here! And avoid the windows. Please. You don't know the place so it can be dangerous if Shadow or Eggman find you."

I sighed and nodded then rested back on the couch. "I'll stay. Don't worry." I smiled at them. "Good luck guys!"

I really wanted to go, but I knew I couldn't.

Or maybe while they were watching me.

Once they closed the door and left the mountain, I dashed outside and went to the top of it and looked down at the small village they were heading to.

Eggman was destroying everything while everyone was screaming and shouting for help.

Even though my name isn't "Help", I knew they were calling for me. They wanted me. They needed me.

Don't worry guys!

I'm coming!