Chapter 14

[Modern Sonic Universe]
{Sonic's P.O.V.}
I was in the kitchen, sitting on the dining table as I ate breakfast. I was really uncomfortable since Knuckles was on the couch, dead silent and eating slowly.

He's so... Serious... And... Smart...

Nothing like the Knuckles I know...!

It's just so weird.

"...Why don't you come to eat here...?" I hesitantly asked, not bearing to stay in silence.

"You'll see." He shook his head and rested back on the couch.

I slowly nodded and stayed quiet, going back again into silence.

It lasted for a couple of minutes, that felt like hours, until Tails walked to the living room yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"Morning..." He mumbled and walked to Knuckles, who hummed and rested his head back, as if he knew that Tails was going to peck his lips.

Tails then moved under Knuckles' arm and sat on his lap, rested his head on his chest and closed his eyes as Knuckles rubbed his ear.

I was a little shocked- correction, extremely shocked, because they both knew I was there, yet they still didn't seem to mind.

"Aren't you embarrassed to do these things in front of someone?" I raised a brow when Tails started purring quietly and wrapped his tails around Knuckles' arm.

"No." They both said in sync and Knuckles shrugged. "We're not doing anything to be embarrassed about."

Thankfully, he was right. They didn't do much more and stayed like that as Tails purred quietly.

"So..." I spoke up again, still feeling uncomfortable since I didn't want to stand here awkwardly watching them cuddle. Especially since I really wasn't used to Knuckles being so different. "About the portal..."

"I'll start working on it soon. Don't worry." Tails mumbled quietly and leaned in Knuckles' touch. "Just let me wake up..."

I slowly nodded and looked in front of me. Sure, I was uncomfortable, but I can't tell him what to do at his own house.

Thankfully Tails stood up almost a minute later and walked to the kitchen then made coffee for himself as he yawned a couple of times.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked me as he waited for the coffee to be done.

"Yeah..." I nodded and finished eating. "Your couch is surprisingly comfortable." I commented, making him chuckle.

"I have many people spending the night here." He shook his head and looked at Knuckles who, understandably, raised a brow at what Tails said. "Almost all of them are injured, the only people that aren't injured are Sonic and you." He told Knuckles with a light chuckle. "But now it's only Sonic I guess."

That made Knuckles calm down.

"You better be careful with your words." Knuckles shook his head and rested back on the couch. "Or else I'm not helping you with your work again."

"Mhm. Sure." Tails rolled his eyes playfully and shook his head then grabbed his cup when the coffee was done then walked to the lab. "You two better behave. The portal is enough of a pain, I don't need to babysit you too."

Knuckles just chuckled and watched TV, staying quiet again.

I'm worried... How does he handle it staying quiet for so long...?

Only psychopaths can do that...

I didn't want to be around him alone so I went to Tails' lab and peeked inside, he was on his computer working typing something and moving back and forth from the portal to the computer, measuring and pressing some random buttons.

He's no that much different from the Tails I grew up with.

"Do you need anything?" Tails looked at me and raised a brow. "Did Knuckles do anything?"

My ears perked up. "What? No, he didn't do anything." I shook my head and walked in the room. "I was just bored. You took a while to wake up."

"I'm sorry, I was really tired." Tails looked back at his screen. "And I kept moving all night so I didn't sleep peacefully."

"Well, how are things looking?" I sat beside Tails and looked at the computer screen, only to see many numbers and words I couldn't understand.

"Not so well, but Rouge told me that she and Shadow will help us, so I'm sure we'll have the portal working in a few weeks."

"Weeks?" I looked at Tails in shock. "Are you serious?"

"Unfortunately." He nodded and lowered his ears slightly. "I wish I was joking, I really am."

I groaned quietly and rested back on the chair. "Weeks...?" I mumbled again to myself.

"I'm sorry, but that's the fastest and safest way." I closed my eyes as Tails talked. "I'll have to make sure the portal is one hundred percent safe, because as you can see, even one percent off and we can end up like this."

"Yeah. I get it." I nodded and heard a knock on the front door then a woman voice ask for Tails, followed by a pair of heels walking to the room we were in.

"Tails?" My ear flickered and I looked up when I heard that voice again and I looked at the woman in slight shock.

I'm sure if Amy was here she'd get overprotective and jealous, because... Chaos, this woman was something else.

"Sonic...?" She looked at me and lowered her ears. "You look... Different..."

"I told you." Shadow mumbled lowly at her and lightly glared at me when he saw me looking at Rouge for a second too long. "I'm guessing you don't know her?"

I slowly shook my head and glanced at Tails who was focused on his computer.

"I'm Rouge the Bat." Rouge said softly and smiled then shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm guessing you already know who I am." I chuckled.

"I know your name, I don't know your personality." She hummed and walked behind Tails. "So, Hun. Where are you, so far?"

"I just started." Tails took a sip from his coffee. "I haven't gone far."

"You're too young to be drinking coffee." Shadow mumbled and rested back on the wall with his arms crossed.

"Shadow, not now." Rouge said calmly and sat beside Tails. "Have you tried accessing Eggman's computers from here? Maybe he keeps his files online in case someone like Shadow destroys his base?" She asked, making Shadow growl lowly but he soon stopped.

"I haven't, but I doubt Eggman managed to save the files, everything happened so quickly and the files are too many."

"We can still try." Shadow joined the conversation, I couldn't say anything since I didn't know much about this place or about computers. "I can bring Rouge's laptop and try from there."

"Sure. We have nothing to lose." Tails shrugged. "But I still have to get the portal working again."

"It's already looking good for us." Rouge smiled slightly, but her smile quickly went away when Shadow spoke up.

"No. No they're not."