House Business

Harry moved through the common room quickly. He didn't see Ron anywhere, but most of the boys still knew what had happened. He could see the portrait hole and went a bit quicker, just wanting to get out of there, but someone called him. He stopped briefly and looked over his shoulder. It was Hermione.

She rushed over to him. "Morning. Going to breakfast?" she asked. She obviously didn't know what had happened in the bathroom. It was surprising actually. "Erm, morning, Malfoy ... er, Draco?" she said oddly.

Draco nodded his head. "Good morning ... Granger." He felt oddly formal calling her by any name.

She smiled a bit and turned back to Harry. "Going to breakfast?" she asked again.

"Yeah," Harry said, looking around for Ron.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at Harry's voice. "What's wrong?" she asked slowly.

Harry sighed. "It's nothing. I'm just hungry. Erm ... we're gonna go ... Coming?"

Hermione frowned. "Actually I was going to wait for Ron. He's taking forever. You should wait too. I know he's being a prat, but you know he cares about you."

Harry closed his eyes. "No -- I -- I'm just gonna go. Erm, I'll see you later."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. She looked like she wanted to prod him for information, but she didn't. She just stared at him strangely. "Well ... okay ... see you at breakfast then ...."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, bye," he muttered before climbing up into the portrait hole and waiting for Draco on the other side.

Draco's face gave nothing away, but once they were past the portrait hole and out of anyone else's earshot, he moved a bit closer asking, "Why did you lie to her?"

Harry shrugged. "She'll figure it out," he said simply, beginning to walk down the hall.

Draco shook his head, but held his tongue. Most of his thoughts now turned to watching other students as they passed them, and to how he would handle his breakfast with his house. Just before they reached the entrance to the hall, he stepped a bit closer to Harry and said quietly, "Remember, at your service."

Harry looked up at him and nodded, although he knew he would never call Draco to him. "Ready?" he asked.

Draco nodded, gave him a brief smile, and then turned and strode into the room with his trademark swagger. The room had gone suddenly quiet as the two boys reached the door. Draco took his favourite seat at his table. The looks he was given by his fellow Slytherins ranged from shock to anger to curiosity.

Harry watched Draco and resisted shaking his head. He walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat next to Ginny. She smiled at him. He smiled back weakly.

Predictably, Crabbe was the first person to speak. "What're you doin' here?" he growled. There were a few snickers and a couple gasps as his audacity.

Draco raised one eyebrow, only glancing disdainfully at the other boy. "Presumably eating what passes for food here," he answered.

Every pair of eyes at the table watched him as he reached forward and put a scone on his plate.

"Draco," Pansy purred, "we are so glad to see you. You had us all worried."

She moved closer to Draco on the seat so that her thigh rested against his and smiled at him. "We heard some awful rumours."

Harry began scooping eggs on his plate. He could feel the stares of the others, but he ignored them.

"Morning," Ginny said next to him.

Harry glanced at her. "Morning," he returned.

"You all right?"