Falling Apart

May 25

"Harry?"

Harry was looking through yet another book from Sirius' house. His eyes hurt from staring at it.

"Harry?"

He wasn't paying attention to anything else, and he'd been that way for at least the past few days.

"Harry?"

He finally looked up to see Hermione staring at him, eyes filled with worry. "What?" he snapped irritably.

"Harry, I'm worried about you," she said for what must have been the millionth time.

"I don't care," Harry said, having to stifle a yawn. He went back to reading.

"Mate?" Ron cut in. "When's the last time you've eaten?"

Harry glared at him for a single second. "This morning."

Hermione huffed. "You hardly ate anything at all this morning! You took those books with you to breakfast!"

Harry snapped the book shut, suddenly becoming angry. "Do you not get it?" he stage whispered furiously. "He'll die if I don't find something."

"You're killing yourself trying to save him!" Hermione said shrilly. "I want to find something to help him too, but you can't just forget about everything else! Something could happen at any time, and if you're ... ill or something, then what on earth are you going to do then?"

McGonagall stepped through the portrait hole, and frowning, scanned the room. She saw the trio and made her way over to them.

Harry scowled heavily at Hermione. "I don't care about that!" he lied. In truth, he'd been thinking about Voldemort non-stop since it had appeared in the Prophet that he and Draco were a couple. He could feel something coming and it made him want to get the serpent off of Draco's arm even more.

"Harry, you can't just stop caring! You're going mad!"

"Well, good for me!" Harry said loudly now.

"McGonagall," Ron interjected suddenly.

Harry turned his head to see the professor walking towards them.

McGonagall frowned and nodded to them. "Harry," she said, "you should come with me."

Harry scowled, very much unwilling to leave his books. "What for?" he said rather rudely.

"Mr Potter," she said sharply. "There has been an ... incident." She glanced at the other two and then lowered her voice. "Mr Malfoy is in the hospital wing."

Harry took a sharp breath and jumped to his feet quickly. He didn't even wait for McGonagall to say anything else, nor did he spare Ron and Hermione a glance. He began walking quickly for the portrait hole, intending to go straight to the infirmary.

McGonagall hurried to catch up with him, joining him on the other side of the portrait hole. She didn't say anything but strode beside him through the halls.

Harry was shaking and began walking even faster, wanting desperately to break into a run. "What's happened?" he asked, voice higher than usual.

"He says he fell down the stairs," she answered flatly.

Harry's eyes narrowed to slits. Draco Malfoy would never fall down stairs. He finally reached the hospital wing doors and flung them open, rushing inside.

Draco was lying in one of the normal beds in the main hospital. His face was a mess. Covered in cuts and bruises, one arm was in a sling and one leg suspended by some type of spell so that it hung a few inches off the bed.