Loose Ends

June 3

Harry was sitting in the common room with Ron and Hermione. They were all reading quietly, not really speaking to each other. Harry had come to himself a bit more the past few days, but he still hadn't given up on the books. He didn't read as much around Draco anymore, but he took advantage of when the other boy was doing prefect duties. There were only three books left to look through now, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione each had one.

Harry sighed. He was still desperate for an answer, but instead of going absolutely mad, his heart just gave random painful beats. Mostly when he was reading or when he was simply staring at Draco. He didn't show it anymore, but he was still falling apart on the inside. He shook his head of those bad "thoughts and turned his attention back to the pages of empty hope in front of him.

"Erm, Harry?" asked a voice from above.

Harry looked up. It was Jimmy Peakes, and he was holding out a small scroll that Harry immediately recognised. He took the scroll from him quickly and unrolled it. "Thanks, Jimmy," he said, scanning the parchment. "It's from Dumbledore." Harry looked up at Ron and Hermione. "He wants me to go up to his office as soon as I can."

Ron's eyes widened. "Does it say just you?"

Harry nodded, frowning.

"Blimey," whispered Ron, "You don't reckon ... he hasn't found...?"

Hermione looked at Harry with wide eyes also.

"I suppose I'd better go and see what he wants ..." Harry said slowly, looking at the parchment again. "Keep looking, yeah?"

Ron and Hermione nodded hurriedly, both looking anxious.

"Go, Harry!" Hermione said shrilly after Harry sat there for another few seconds.

Harry frowned again and marked his page before getting to his feet and heading out the portrait hole.

He walked along the halls and was stopped shortly by Peeves on the seventh floor. Harry tried to jinx him, but Peeves dodged the spell and thankfully went cackling about his way. The corridor turned very silent, it being so close to curfew.

He froze, upon hearing a scream and crash, and listened.

He turned and headed towards the noise. Around the corner, Professor Trelawney was sprawled on the floor. There were several sherry bottles laying beside her, one broken.

Harry sighed and hurried forward to help her to her feet. "What happened, Professor?" he asked.

She got to her feet with Harry's help and patted her hair. "You may well ask!" she said shrilly. "I was strolling along, brooding upon certain Dark portents I happen to have glimpsed ..."

Harry's attention wandered. As he looked around, he realised where they were. "Were you trying to get in the Room of Requirement?" he asked.

"... omens I have vouchsafed - what?" She looked suddenly shifty.

"Were you trying to get into the Room of Requirement?" he asked again.

"I didn't know the students ..."

"Not all of them know about it," Harry said quickly, not really wanting to stand there anymore. "It sounded like you might have been hurt. What were you trying to do?"

Professor Trelawney drew her shawls around her defensively. "I wished to __ah __ deposit certain—um -- personal items in the Room ..."

Harry looked down at the sherry bottles on the floor. "Right. Why couldn't you get in then?"