Down South [Pt 2]

We went to the station each day as they had locked him in a cell.

Mother's blood pressure figures kept increasing and subsequently, her health started deteriorating. I  struggled to survive even more since he brought in more than half of the family's income and mum's failed agility could no longer cope with the market work.

Wondering that it's against the law to keep a suspect longer than 24 hours? Well, I think so too, Raymond but this is Nigeria where oppression of the masses is on the high side and their rights and privileges as citizens are constantly abused.

"Hmm.. That was the height of cruelty mum. Was he ever released?", Raymond asked, tears already welled up in his eyes.

Long sigh*

" My son, such is life. Do not at any point expect that life will be fair to you. If the going is good, enjoy it but don't be too comfortable. Always remember that times will always change. Make do with whatever life throws at you and use it judiciously because you'll never know if what's coming is worse."

"As for father, son"

Hmmm..

    As months advanced, we started losing hope of him ever returning to us.

Well, until one day

    We brought him food as usual and he spoke to us, his strength gradually fading. The eyes that usually held so much hope and faith now revealed nothing but a man that was utterly defeated.

      " I've told you not to come here often anymore. Martha, your mum is ailing. Cheer up and cheer her up too. I'm not dead, at least, not yet"

       Those were his exact words. Even when he had given up already, he tried to encourage us and put up a strong visage.

       As we made way for the entrance,with me supporting mother and helping her to walk, we heard a voice calling after us

"Madam, madam!"

Turning towards the direction of the voice, I became instantly paralyzed at the sight of a sergeant that was trying hard to pick stabilize his breath. It meant just one thing

That he was running after us.

Why?

Mother beat me to it and with a frail voice that spoke volumes of a lot of gathered courage;

"What is the matter, officer?".

      I'm sorry about the recent slow updates. My wrist got broken so I couldn't do much typing. I feel this chapter isn't good.  Tell me what you think guys

Another chapter is coming up soon.