Ayomide

"It's nothing serious ma'am.  In fact, it's good news! You have been offered bail. So, you are being requested to come in to sort out the processes"

You know, there are few moments that you cannot decide what emotions should come into play.

Mother?

She just slumped. It took three and a half buckets of water and screaming to wake her.

*****

      He never recovered. The feeling of incapacitation graduated into defeat and consequently, he simply gave up. Months after he was released, he took to drinking and getting drunk became his favourite pastime. Well, every time was his pastime. It was really pathetic.

Many times, the neighbours picked him at various gutters and returned him home. Only few people cared to advise him (well, not that he took to them). The others gossiped and our family became a laughing stock.

If I thought we struggled before the whole incident, I was definitely exaggerating because we struggled even more, "suffered" is the exact word.

With my pregnant state, there was hardly any job I never did. I sold all manners of things, carried goods from one place to another in the market and even worked in construction sites for contractors who employed cheap labour. All to make ends meet

    I became the sole breadwinner of the family while taking care of mother's failing health. As weeks advanced gradually, I was getting nearer to labour. It was a surprise, it still is that I didn't have a miscarriage.

  I came home one day after a usual wearisome day at work and from afar, I spotted a number of people outside the house. Curiosity got the better part of me as I moved my aching limbs even faster. As I approached, I saw them crying.

Crying?

It was the tradition then that when a person died, people would come over to the front of his house and mourn his death. Sometimes, the corpse was placed right before them. Other times, they would lay it carefully in the living room. In that case, people would be more inside and people who you would find outside were either people going in or coming outside.

In this case, the corpse was outside. A peek at who it was got me insane for a moment.

All I can remember is that two women held me on both sides while I trashed endlessly..

******

   Truth be told, father's death brought relief to us, me especially. One burden was lifted off my shoulders but one's loved one will always be a loved one.  The vacuum, however insignificant was felt.

Just about two weeks later, I fell into labour and had you, Ayomide.

Happy new months guys! I'm sorry this book couldn't end yesterday as scheduled. So,it goes on...
Stay at home; Stay safe