Light (1)

True to the cop's words, I was released the next day from the prison cell. I had been excluded the previous day from even writing a statement and the moment he got a free time with me, he collected the money and tucked it into his pocket hurriedly.

By the time I was released from the lot of other suspects, I had just a thousand naira to spare as they had threatened me into surrendering my money to them if I wanted to live in peace till the next day.

Osezua and others that died on the previous day had been taken to the mortuary before I was released.

After a while of pointless wandering, I thought long of my life and decided to end it. To feel the same way Ose felt when he was in his death hour, to end the feeling of uselessness and unfulfillment.

So, I gathered the change that remained from the money that had earlier been used for transport fare and headed right to the nearby pharmacy store and got quantities of poison.

I walked absentmindedly as I was lost in the thoughts of the best location for my escapade when I was rudely shoved by some large arms.

Great!, I thought. I did not have to use the poison after all. All I needed to do was to submit myself to this bully and let him kill me. So, I lifted my gaze and rammed my fist into his cheeks to aggravate him

"Ahhhhh.. What the hell man?"

He screamed as he held his cheeks palms. I was confused as to why he was playing the victim. "After all, he was the one who shoved me first", I thought.

" I just wanted to ask where the nearest mechanic shop is since my car developed a fault and stopped moving", he finally spoke up again after regaining composure.

"It just developed a fault and stopped moving?", I snickered as I tried to stand on my toes to look beyond his stature.

He sure was really tall and looked elderly. Way out of my league

" Please just direct me to a mechanic's shop is you know one.", he said exasperatedly. Dark bruises were already forming on his chin.

"Today is Sunday. Most of them are not usually around at this time"., I replied, already feeling empathetic towards him and for the fact that I punched him, I felt guilty as well.

"What exactly is wrong with it?",

" I don't know. It just stopped and I need to get out of here as soon as possible ", he whined, obviously frustrated.

He seemed a bit spoilt. Only a spoilt grown ass man would whine like a child.

" Open the bonnet of the car", I ordered as I walked towards it.

"Can you.. Can you fix it?", he questioned, looking even more confused.

" Just open it", I sighed.
" If I am going to be useful this once before I die, it's absolutely worth it", I thought as a positioned myself in front of the car

Now, what?, I asked myself as he opened it. I had no idea of what to check.

To make me even more nervous, the man arrived to stay by my side, staring intently at me.

I picked a stone and hit the battery connectors severally. That, after all was what I often saw the taxi drivers in the motor park do.

"You can go ahead to start it now", I said, turning fully at him.

He looked incredulously at me for a while. He shrugged afterwards and made way to get to the steering.

" Goodness! Thank you very much lad", he shouted as he got down again to thank me.

"I didn't even think along that direction. God bless you! I had just taken my grandmother to her home from the hospital when the car developed fault oo and I am really scared of the thugs that parade this area. In fact, I'm lucky today is Sunday. Otherwise, I would have expended all my money to stay sane after my vehicle has been vandalized", he kept rambling while gesturing towards a particular direction. The direction I guessed was where his grandmother lived.

" It's all good. I'm sorry for attacking you earlier", I simply replied, while picking my nylon of poison which I had earlier dropped to face death in it's rawness.

"Oh! Please wait. Let me give you some...", he trailed off while counting notes of money from his wallet.

I chuckled inwardly as I thought of what I was about to do.

"Don't bother. I'm off", I stated while walking away.

" Oh! WAITTT!"

I turned and saw him waving frantically. Sighing deeply, I moved towards him again.

"Please, what is your name?", he asked, his face full of pity.

" I don't fancy being pitied", I snapped

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you", he replied, while trying to act normally again.

A brief silence passed.

"Raymond"

"Where do you live"

"Under the bridge"

"Where are your parents?"

"Why do you care?", I snapped again, obviously pissed.

"I really do not care."

That hurt more than it should have. I turned again and started walking away.

"Hey! C'mmon. I obviously didn't mean that. I just didn't want you to have the idea that I was pitying you again", he called after me

" It didn't seem obvious.", I hollered back as I kept moving

"Do you go to school?", he called again.

I halted and turned to look at him

" What is your problem? ", I asked, already fuming at his inquisitiveness

"Woah! Woah! Don't go all ballistic on me kiddo. I want to help you".

Great! He already developed some nerves.

" What help?"

"Come with me. I'll ensure you go back to school, have a home and eat good food".

I chuckled sarcastically.

" And work as your houseboy?"

"Be my son.", I will adopt you legally.

" You're crazy", I replied, after overcoming my shock

"I wouldn't deny that".

" Why? Is that how you go around the streets looking for people to adopt or you are simply looking out for new lives for sacrifices?", I yelled.

"It may interest you to know that I don't even have an adopted animal. I don't make sacrifices either"

"Then why?"

"I don't know. I just feel inclined to do it. Besides, I don't have a child"

"NO!", I resolved and kept walking away

" WAITTT!"

I kept walking, ignoring him completely.

After a while, I heard a car horn loudly just enough to startle me. I moved farther away from the road and kept walking.

"Raymond!", the voice called out

I turned, only to see that man from earlier.

" I said NO! Leave me the hell alone"

"Fine! Just take my card, in case you change your mind"

"Will that make you leave me for good?", I asked, already feeling weary from the scorching heat and the stranger's persistence

"Of course", he replied, smilingly

The rest of the walk was a hazy one...

Stay safe!