Chapter III - The Right Thing to Do

It was like the words were echoing around the chamber.

Naval fleets hailing from the continent bound for Prythian to fight alongside Hybern.

That they had saved them.

That they had come to collect what is due.

The High Lords didn't even try to contain their anger as they had all risen to their feet. But Dorian and Brianna stayed put in their seats, as though nothing in the world would happen to them. Such a claim, such confidence is saying so, that he had dared even suggest that they would all be dead without them...

This will not end well, Rhysand sent Feyre down the bond, the message wafting into Morrigan, Cassian and Azriel's minds too, as a warning. Rhys did not know if the High Lords would lash out, and he was hoping they wouldn't, for he didn't know what he'd do if it came to that. He barely glanced at Azriel in a silent order, the spymaster acting on command, as silent shadows had began to gather around the chairs of the fae from Strofades, ever slowly creeping up the back and sides of their seats. Just in case something were to happen, Rhysand would have the control in his own court.

They hadn't noticed, nor would they, as the High Lords and their entourage were now eyeing them as though they were the prey. Brianna kept her composure, her cold stare watching their every breath, but Dorian dared a smile that sent Thesan over the top.

"You're lying," He snarled.

"Why would we?" Dorian countered, "What would we have to gain from such a lie?"

"Who's forces were they?" Helion breathed, his eyes darting from Dorian to Brianna, "Who were Hybern's allies?"

Dorian only tilted his head playfully, but directed his gaze to Rhysand. The High Lord of the Night Court stared him down all the same.

Dorian merely said, "You had your spymaster figure it out long before the war erupted. But your little mind tricks didn't seem to work out as well as you thought they had."

The blood in Rhys vains had gone cold. His eyes went to Azriel, who in turn, has understood what Dorian meant, who he was talking about.

Before the war had come to Prythian, when Hybern was rallying allies in the continent, there were three kingdoms that had agreed to fight with them. If they had made it to the war, Prythian would have been eradicated, for the numbers would have been too much, too strong. So Rhys had planted information in those three kingdoms that had them believing that there was a bigger threat at large within the continent, amongst each other, dissuading them from joining forces with Hybern, from ever setting foot in Prythian.

"You mean to tell us," Rhysand's voice was that of a High Lord's, every word dripping in darkness as he stared down at Dorian, "That your kind took down the combined forces of Rask, Vallahan and Montesere?"

Dorian's smile had somehow gotten wider, but it was Brianna who said: "You're welcome."

It was like all the power in the room had flared up in fury.

"You said you had dealt with those kingdoms," Kallias said to Rhysand, "That it was no concern of ours, that Hybern was enough of a problem to handle."

"I did." Rhys couldn't help but glance at the shadowsinger, who's usual unreadable expression had faltered. To much of the room's surprise, Azriel's eyes were wide with shock, as he too ran the revelation through his mind.

"It was," Azriel confirmed, his voice almost as low as a whisper, "I had my spies make sure of it. They weren't coming, they weren't supposed to."

"Then what, in the name of the goddamn Cauldron happened?" Helion's voice bellowed.