Chapter XVII - Time For Goodbyes

When they woke, it was to the sound of Yohann laughing at Brianna, for she had soot on her face for having slept so close to the fire. He had come back at the crack of dawn, after having spent a rather satisfying night with his Maeve, to which Brianna snapped that he was saying too much unneeded information to her ears.

And then they gathered their belongings, ate a few more fruit for breakfast, and shot up into the skies.

They only took one short break during their flight, after a four hour mark, resting atop a grassy mountain side, with a nice and cold stream for them to drink from. Nearby, there were herds of very fluffy sheep, and they had flown over other herds of cattle, wild horses, in different plains throughout the green mountains, as well as seen other villages and cities. Cassian had half a mind to make a cow his early lunch, but Azriel just shot him a deadly glare that immediately dissuaded him from doing so.

Soon, they were flying again, and they had taken another current in the clouds, allowing the strong blow of wind to boost their speed. Within a couple more hours, just when the two Illyrians began to feel the strain in their wings again from such prolonged flying, the four of them had emerged out from a big cloud and into the sunlight, and below them was the city of Allegrya.

Cassian barely had the time to take in all that he was seeing of the magnificent city, before they swooped onto the balcony of the palace, and Dorian was already there, waiting for them, just as some very official looking Syrens flew away, back down to the city.

"How was it?" Yohann asked the prince, and Dorian let out a sigh.

"The city council is being difficult again, but I've appeased them for now," was his reply, then he looked at the Illyrians, for they looked a little out of breath, "I apologise for making you unable to winnow within the Strofades. You see, my people have been a little iffy about allowing strangers in, so unfortunately the only winnowing you'll be able to do is solely from the palace to Prythian."

Azriel only nodded, understanding some of the logic behind it. But for now, that was the only explanation Dorian was willing to give them. Maybe he'd ask Brianna more the next time they'd be alone.

"What do the letters say?" She then asked him, changing the conversation to what she really wanted to know.

But Dorian just walked right up to her, and gave her a kiss right on her forehead, as if all animosity they held yesterday were gone. They saw how she softened a bit under his touch, a small smile dancing on her lips.

"Where's my kiss?" Yohann joked, and it made Brianna roll her eyes, pulling away from Dorian.

She looked up to see his face, waiting, for the answer to her question.

So Dorian told them to follow him, and sauntered off within the palace, leading them down a corridor, up a grand white marble staircase, until they arrived in a large meeting room, one with yet another gorgeous view of the city below. There was a big circular table in the middle of it, surrounded by wooden chairs with colourful little cushions. The table itself had all manners of papers, stacks of documents and maps strewn all about. This was Dorian's meeting room and work desk, apparently.

The prince picked something up from the table, out of their view as they filled in the room. He then hid it behind his back like a game, turning to face them with a broad smile.

"Bad news, or worse news first?"

Yohann let out a snort, like this was something he had expected, while the Illyrians waited. They knew that their time in the Strofades had come to an end, for now, and that probably after this short meeting, they would winnow home. But because Azriel had been appointed as Brianna's guide, they guessed that their presence was needed to hear this news.