Chapter XV - A Drinking Game

Somehow, in some way, and Azriel couldn't understand it for the life of him, Brianna had coaxed both he and Cassian into this ridiculous drinking game.

It was a popular card game according to Brianna, though the Illyrians had never heard of it before, but it was something the Syrens often played to blow off some steam. Cassian was more than willing to play, for it seemed that he wasn't yet satisfied even with all the ale he had drank with Yohann and the other soldiers. When they both turned to Azriel, he could only let out a heavy sigh, knowing that he probably wouldn't find a way out of this anyway. Either he played the game, or Brianna went off, leaving him with Cassian and some explaining to do.

Now they sat in a semi-circle by the fireplace, cards spread out in front of them, along with three very full glasses of liquor. Brianna had spent a good amount of time explaining to them the complicated set of rules, and though Cassian barely understood them, with Azriel somewhat grasping the concept, they played anyway.

"If you win, then you can make a player of your choosing drink," Brianna told them, and somehow Azriel felt like she just might make sure he would be that player, and that maybe this game was her own version of revenge for what he had done.

"That's it?" Cassian suddenly asked, as if that wasn't much of a stake for a card game so complicated. Azriel shot him a look that Cassian didn't even notice.

"Oh," Brianna said, though a sly smile spread on her lips, "This is the mild version. I didn't think you'd be up for the fun version."

Cassian huffed in protest, and both Azriel and Brianna could see just how much ale he had already consumed.

"I want to play the fun version."

"Alright," Brianna nodded to him, like she was appeasing a child, "In the fun version, whoever wins has two options to give to the player of their choosing: to drink or to strip."

Oh. The Syren's form of fun was particular, apparently. Azriel straightened, tucking in his crossed legs just a bit, but Cassian barked out a loud laugh. Brianna only shuffled the cards in her hand with ease.

"Let's play."

It didn't take long to know who was winning and who was losing at this game. As much as Cassian tried his best to wrap his head around the rules, he kept messing up, putting down the wrong cards, much to Brianna and Azriel's advantage.

He hadn't won once, and for the number of rounds they had played, he had lost nearly every single time. When Brianna won over him, she told Cassian to drink. When Azriel somehow won over him, he told him to strip. And though it was a little obvious that the two were ganging up on him, Cassian was too far gone to care. When he had once been clad in all his leathers, he had been stripped down to only his undergarments, and slurred every single word he said out loud.

"Did I win?" Cassian asked, eyeing the cards they had all put down in front of them.

"No," Brianna said, pointing to particular cards, "My King beats all the other cards, and Azriel's Knight beats your Page," she was grinning at Cassian, who now looked miserable, "You lost. Again."

"No way," he said, almost unbelievably, "This keeps happening..." Then Cassian looked down at the single piece of clothing he had left, and gave Brianna a pointed look, "Fear not, lady emissary. I will spare you from seeing my prized jewels."

Then Cassian downed another cup of liquor, choosing to drink instead of stripping in Brianna's place. Though, she was grateful for that, him sparring her of making that choice.

"Thank you, how noble of you," Brianna bit back the laughter, though Azriel couldn't hold back a laugh that filled the air.

For he too had lost to Brianna quite a number of times, even if he had managed to spare his dignity, for she alternated between drinking and stripping for him. He had lost a total of eleven times, forgoing his two boots, then socks, then his jacket, and finally his shirt, leaving him in his undershirt and pants, which was still very very decent. For the other five times he lost, she had made him down his drink instead, and it was almost as much as he could handle, for his face had already become very flushed.