Chapter 3

Staring up at the ceiling, she didn't notice the door open and close, nearly silent. Until a hand clamped over her mouth. Valley calmly glanced over at the person.

Cedric's eyes met hers, and he released her.

"There's a power outage. The cameras will be dead for the next day or so. If you want to talk, then now's the time."

Her room was dark, and the camera in the corner was bowed. Nodding, Valley sat up, and waited patiently for Cedric to begin.

"The people here aren't like us. They're insane. We're gifted, in ways that aren't normal. There are very few people who are like this. Some can know everything about a person, in one glance or touch, like us. Others can see the future, or can read thoughts. We're special, Val. Do you know what they do to people like us?"

She shook her head, and looked him in the eye. His eyes were clouded by anger and fear.

"They kill them."

"We can't do anything. It's impossible to escape in less than a day, and fighting back will only ensure that they kill us faster. No matter what we do, we're dead."

"I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a window in your room. You just happen to be on the first story as well. If we leave now, they won’t know we're gone until role call tomorrow."

Valley considered his plan, and found herself agreeing to it, before she could think it through.

"Alright. But, I still have questions for you."

"And I'll answer them. After we get Trent and Erica."

"Why?" Then she remembered their gifts.

"They're like us. Erica can see the future. Trent is her younger brother that was taken here, after They found out that he can do what Erica can do. Erica sees good things about the future, and Trent sees future disasters."

"I know. Where are rooms 138 and 139?"

"You're room is number 130, so they should be close by. They would've snuck into each other’s room." Cedric walked out the door. She was about to follow him, but he ushered her back to the bed.

"Stay here, Val. I couldn't forgive myself if you got caught."

Valley detected a note of compassion in the last sentence, which was whispered. She wanted to grab his hand, and pull him back, but didn't.

Instead, she whispered frantically, "Not today. We'll have to escape some other time. The agents are bringing a girl in tomorrow, and there's a guy here who can move things with his mind. Not today Cedric." Valley found herself hoping that he would stay with her instead, but Cedric gave her a smile that said, 'anything for you', and left.

Valley felt more alone than usual.