Chapter 4

She had fallen asleep, and woken up the next morning. The intercom announced that breakfast would be served at 8 o'clock. Judging by the small clock on her wall, she would go to breakfast in ten minutes. Valley dressed, and waited for the agent to escort her to the dining room.

Valley sat in the same seat as she had yesterday, and Cedric sat next to her. She pressed her piece of paper into his hand, and waited for Trent and Erica to sit down. Erica sat across from Cedric, and Trent sat across from Valley, who looked at them, and said, "I know you two are Psychics. I'm a Clairsentient."

"I don't know what that means, Valley."

"Clairsentients can know everything about a person in a single touch or glance. I'm a Clairsentient as well," Cedric explained, taking Valley's hand in his. Valley didn't pull away like she would have if it were any other guy. She caught flashes of his feelings for her. It was likely Cedric had found out hers, as well.

"You say it like it's a proper noun or something,"Trent muttered, running a hand through his blonde hair.

"It is. There's not just Clairsentients and Psychics. There-"

"Does that mean we're witches?!" Erica's deep green eyes widened. The same eyes her brother had.

"No. Witches and Warlocks, also known as Sorcerers, can cast spells and most often have an elemental power. A few are Psychics or Clairsentients or Clairaudience’s or something else."

"A few Witches or Warlocks may have telepathic and telekinetic powers, instead of elemental powers. Psychics only have one of the mental powers."

"I don't think we should be talking about this here-"

"Don't worry about it. None of the guards are listening, they're all busy thinking about eating or having their breaks," a petite, brown-haired girl sat down next to Trent, across from the empty seat next to Valley. She beamed at Valley, who nodded in response, meeting her hazel-eyed gaze.

"I just got here today. I'm-"

"Jennette."

"And you're a telepath. Right?"

"Yeah, how did you-"

"Cedric and I are Clairsentients. Erica and Trent are Psychics. That guy that's sitting all the way down there," Valley gestured to a dark-haired guy at the end of the table. He looked up. "…is a Telekinetic. He got here about a month ago," Valley waved him over. The guy stood, and strolled down to them. He sat down across from Jennette, next to Valley.

"If the guards catch us all talking about our abilities, they'll just kill us faster."

"Well, it appears that Noah's being optimistic, as always."

Cedric gave Valley a mischievous smile, and Noah glared at Cedric, his hands clenching into fists.

"Hitting him isn't gonna shut him up, Noah. It'll just make it worse," Jennette whispered, clearly struggling to hide the burst of giggles that threatened to spill out.

"Jennette's a Telepath. Erica and Trent are Psychics. Cedric and I are Clairsentients. You do know you're a Telekinetic, right?"

"Yeah. My dad sent me here. He thought they could help me. Thought I was insane. I swear, if I ever get out of here-"

"Killing him isn't going to solve your problems, Noah. It'd be better for you to stay away from home. Never go back. We don't have to go back to our homes ever again, if we got out of here."

"Shh! Here comes a guard!"

The words had barely left Jennette's mouth, when a large hand lowered onto Valley's shoulder hardening against it. She looked up, and a large pair of sunglasses obscured his eyes from her. Stiffening, Valley looked at her feet. The person's hand was careful not to brush against her skin.

"I believe it's time for you to go back to your quarters, Valley," the agent said. He roughly pulled her from her seat, and started to propel her toward the door. Cedric ran after them, and handed a slip of paper to Valley. He called out her name as two more agents moved him back to the table.

"Cedric!" She started to fight against the hand on her shoulder, and received the sharp pain of someone's nail digging into her flesh. Wincing, she glared up at the man.

"Don't fight."

Valley flinched at his words, and watched Cedric grow smaller and smaller, until the door slammed shut. 

She was partly dragged, partly led, down the halls to her room, and then shoved inside. She sat on the bed, and frowned as the door was locked behind her. Then, Valley unfolded the slip of paper, and read the message.

Valley,

The boss here is planning an assembly next week. Everyone is required to be there. According to what Erica said, they do role call before, but not after the assembly. We should be able to escape at that time.

Stay safe, Val.

-C

The last line touched Valley's heart in a way that she had never experienced before. Her abilities had left Valley friendless, and she had tried to limit physical contact with others. She even grew her black hair out to hide her blue eyes, in an effort to keep from learning things she didn't want to about people. Some of the secrets had played with her emotions, so she had taught herself to basically stop feeling emotions. Being indifferent had saved her, in a way. Valley had never even thought about finding another solution. Besides, eventually, she hadn't even missed being happy or content. She was just fine with the emptiness.

Valley scribbled down a note on another slip of paper.

Cedric,

That's great. Did you get anything about the new agent? The one who took me back to my room? Something about him is...different. I don't trust him.

I trust you, though. You make me feel things that I haven't felt in years. I don't understand what they are, though. I hope to find out.

-V

She placed the note in her shoe, and lay down. She was asleep before she knew it.